Just want HID device; bootloader can go. Can I disable it?

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
plasma2002

Just want HID device; bootloader can go. Can I disable it?

Post by plasma2002 »

So I made a project using the usb keyboard libraries. All works fine with the code and end result. I am making and selling products with the trinket and the keyboard code.

My issue lies with the fact that when I give my product to a customer, they don't understand why their computer tries to install drivers when they plug it in, only to do other weird stuff 10 seconds later before working as a normal keyboard device.

Obviously, their computers are trying to install drivers for the bootloader, then later, sees it unplugged and plugged back in as a keyboard.

Since I am finished with the code, and ready to put it into a production environment, is there any way I can simply disable or remove the bootloader all together?

I simply want my product to show up as a keyboard, without the 10 second timeout.

Thanks! :)

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Just want HID device; bootloader can go. Can I disable i

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You can program the ATtiny85 directly is an In-Circuit System Programmer (ICSP), and if you have an Arduino you can use that as an ICSP. There's no easy way to disable the bootloader from code loaded using the bootloader though.

wiges

Re: Just want HID device; bootloader can go. Can I disable i

Post by wiges »

You can program the ATtiny85 directly is an In-Circuit System Programmer (ICSP), and if you have an Arduino you can use that as an ICSP. There's no easy way to disable the bootloader from code loaded using the bootloader though.
This is exactly what I need. I built 10 motion sensors using trinkets and I connected them to PCs, but every time the PCs are restarted, the trinket is not recognized anymore and the sensor stops working. I'd like to remove the bootloader as plasma2002 indicated.

Is there a guide on how to use the Arduino to directly program the trinkets and removing the bootloader?

In the https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-trinket/pinouts guide it says:
"It's also possible to use this [reset] pin to re-program in the bootloader or completely remove the bootloader "

But I don't see any mention as to how to do it?

Thans in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”