Reassigning I2C pins

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pmeyer

Reassigning I2C pins

Post by pmeyer »

All:

I am trying to build a IR receiver IN to I2C command out controller using a 5V trinket. I am able to decode IR codes (pin 2 input and in another wireup send I2C (pins 0, 2 output) commands. I can't currently wire these functions together as I am unable to find a pinout set that will work.

I need:
input for IR reciever
output for SDL
output for SCK

I've tried using pins 3 and 4, but with the USB conflict (and the need for a pullup) this won't work for the IR receiver.

Does anyone know if the I2C functionality provided by TWI can be reassigned? I think the following might might work:
Pin 0 - SDA
Pin 1 - SCL (trinket would be driving both I2C clock and LED)
Pin 2 - IR receiver.

I've followed the software documentation down, but have been unable to find the setup call in TWI to reassign the pins.

Thoughts?

Peter

egutting

Re: Reassigning I2C pins

Post by egutting »

Why not use pin 1 for the IR receiver and keep the default I2C pins?

pmeyer

Post by pmeyer »

Hi:

The idea has merit. I would need to remove the R5 resistor or the LED. The other problem is that the boatloader flashes Pin 1 (the LED). Any restart of the trinket would cause a bus contention between the trinket and the IR receiver.....

I've can spare one of my Trinkets and so will give this a try.

P

pmeyer

Post by pmeyer »

So I cut away the pin 1 LED and can now get this pin to behave like a proper input. The only remaining problem is that the bootloader puts the pin into output mode to flash the (now missing) LED.

I will post another forum question regarding how to install modified bootloader code.

I think this mod is worthy of a separate learn session. I can reclaim another pin and use it as an input.

Peter

AnneBarela
Learn User Page

Post by AnneBarela »

I have successfully used pin 1 on the original trinket as an input in many projects without removing the onboard parts. You have to be aware of the resistance already there. Often a 1k pull up works well.

pmeyer

Post by pmeyer »

Hi thekitty:

I tried to connect a IR receiver device (from the data sheet has a 30k pullup with active low transistor). I was unable to get the IR receiver to be understood by the Trinket (although the LED should not have been able to light up). Once I removed the LED, the trinket was able to capture the IR's digital stream.

My concern was about the scenario whereby the IR receiver and Pin 1 (while booting) were both active. I can find max drive currents for the Tiny's IO drivers, but could not determine if the IR Receiver can tolerate pulsed 20mA current from Pin1 through its pull-down driver.

Thoughts?

Peter

hiduino

Post by hiduino »

Were you able to try the updated bootloader without the LED_BLINK code from your other post?

pmeyer

Post by pmeyer »

Alas no. In my other post, I posted logs from the Serial console session on the Ardruino to the trinket. I also posted the first 10 columns of the .HEX file. (The sequence look like the .hex puts out addresses on its first 8 characters after the ": ) I think I must be missing an option in the linker to map it to the correct address space on the trinket. I have not had time to investigate this further.

hiduino

Post by hiduino »

Did you check that other posting lately? There are responses on a bootloader to use.

pmeyer

Post by pmeyer »

All:

Using some reformatted/recompiled bootloader code provided by Hiduino, I have PIN 1 working as a clean input from a adafruit IR receiver.

I've been able to mash together two projects (adafruit-20w-stereo-audio-amplifier-class-d-max9744 amp, and the IR Receiver tutorials and have a Trinket reading IR codes and pushing I2C commands to the AMP's Digital volume control.)

Thanks all for your help!!

Peter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”