5V Trinket Bootloader Failing on Mac

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nickjwarren

5V Trinket Bootloader Failing on Mac

Post by nickjwarren »

I purchased two 5V trinkets, and when I plug either one into my mac- running 10.10.4- the red light stays lit for a moment and then goes out! It does not strobe and I get the message "avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)" when i hit the upload button in arduino.

The arduino IDE has been set up, I have tried with two different trinkets, on 3.0 and 2.0 usb ports, with two different cords, on two different macs. I have followed the IDE and Trinket setup guides thoroughly.

I have tried resetting the trinkets with my arduino uno. No luck. Any Idea what could be wrong? This is no coincidence because I have tried two different trinkets. one came directly out of it's package and was plugged into my computer first thing.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 5V Trinket Bootloader Failing on Mac

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The red light doesn't strobe when you press the reset button?
And you've tried repairing the bootloader? Are you sure that procedure completed successfully?

It's odd that you should have two Trinkets with bad bootloaders like that.

Do you have anything attached to the Trinkets?

nickjwarren

Post by nickjwarren »

Nothing Connected. One was right out of the bag brand new. Drivers are not required for macs correct? Is there something people often miss from the tutorials?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

If you have an Arduino Uno, you can try repairing the bootloaders:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader

Otherwise, Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for replacement trinkets

bcochran1

Post by bcochran1 »

I sort of wonder if the USB cable is in good shape -- no kinks or bends or cuts in it -- and whether the power and signal from the Mac is correct.
I use the Mac myself and it works wonderfully. I'm very fussy about keeping my USB cables in good order.

Bob

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”