Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi with ATWINC1500 Compilation Errors

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
miax

Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi with ATWINC1500 Compilation Errors

Post by miax »

Howdy!

I just received a pair of the Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi with ATWINC1500's, and have immediately run into a compilation issue that I would welcome help and input on..

I have Arduino AVR version 1.6.5, and followed Lada Ada's tutorial on Learn for these boards. I can upload the Blink script using the press-reset trick during upload that Lada Ada suggests, and I can vary the blink rate with modifications to the script.

I downloaded the drivers fpr Arduino AVR via the GitHub link in the tutorial (https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_WI ... master.zip), renamed the directory to Adafruit_WINC1500, and moved it into libraries as instructed, then restarted the AVR. This is where the problem arises; any sketch I try to compile from the ATWINC1500 examples gives me the following error:

C:\Apps\Arduino-1.6.5r2\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_WINC1500\src\Adafruit_WINC1500.cpp: In member function 'int Adafruit_WINC1500::hostByName(const char*, IPAddress&)':
C:\Apps\Arduino-1.6.5r2\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_WINC1500\src\Adafruit_WINC1500.cpp:656:14: error: 'class IPAddress' has no member named 'fromString'
if (aResult.fromString(aHostname)) {
^
Error compiling.

I am not sure what library I am missing?

Thanks!

Kris

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi with ATWINC1500 Compilation Err

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You seem to be using an out-of-date version of the SAMD board support package.
Go into Boards Manager and get the latest version

miax

Post by miax »

Thank you very much for the reply!

I updated all of my libraries and reloaded the AVR. I get a strange error now:

"avr-gcc: error: C:\Users\Miax\AppData\Local\Temp\build2390719487139651812.tmp/core.a: No such file or directory Error compiling."

This sounds like something directory-related, but I don't know for sure. I will try re-installing the Arduino AVR (and will get the latest build) and see if that works.

Have you seen this error before?

Thanks again for your help!

Kris

dhalbert

Post by dhalbert »

I saw this bug just yesterday when I upgraded some Arduino (not Adafruit) board libraries in Arduino 1.6.5 on Windows 10. I reverted to the previous version using the Board Manager (click More Info, I think), and it fixed the problem. This bug: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/4114, says that Arduino AVR board library 1.6.9 and SAMD library 1.6.6 are not compatible with Arduino IDE 1.6.5 and earlier. So try reverting both of those.

adafruit_support_rick

That core.a bug is a real pain. Try downgrading like dhalbert suggests.

Worst case, there's a folder called Arduino15 that contains all the board support packages. On Mac, it's in ~/Library.
In Windows, it's in your User folder, in a hidden folder called AppData. On my box, it's in C:\Users\rick\AppData\Local.
Close Arduino, delete that folder, and start over again importing the board packages.

miax

Post by miax »

Thank you both very much! :)

I am heading home from work early for today, I'll downgrade as you suggest and report back my success.

Cheers!

Kris

miax

Post by miax »

Hmmm damn, I'm still striking out here, but will keep trying until I find a combination of Arduino software, Arduino AVR libraries and any others at the right vertsions - I have two of these cool little Feather Wifi boards and am anxious to get them singing. :)

Using Arduino 1.6.7 (just did fresh install), with Arduni AVR Boards 1.6.9, and Arduni SAMD Boards 1.6.1 or 1.6.2 I get:

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 10), Board: "Adafruit Feather 32u4"

libraries\Adafruit_WINC1500\bsp\source\nm_bsp_arduino_avr.c.o: In function `attachInterruptMultiArch':

C:\Apps\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_WINC1500\src\bsp\source/nm_bsp_arduino_avr.c:134: undefined reference to `digitalPinToInterrupt'

libraries\Adafruit_WINC1500\bsp\source\nm_bsp_arduino_avr.c.o: In function `detachInterruptMultiArch':

C:\Apps\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_WINC1500\src\bsp\source/nm_bsp_arduino_avr.c:148: undefined reference to `digitalPinToInterrupt'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

Kris

dhalbert

Post by dhalbert »

Arduino IDE 1.6.6 and above are problematic. Try starting with the IDE at 1.6.5, and install Arduino AVR board library 1.6.8 and ARM SAMD library 1.6.5. Also install the latest Adafruit AVR and ARM SAMD libraries.

miax

Post by miax »

Adafruit,

My attempts have thus far failed on Arduino AVR 1.6.5.. I tested many combinations of the libraries, but it boils down to just the difference between the Arduino AVR Boards version as the results below show:

-> With:
Arduino 1.6.5
Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.8
Arduino SAM Boards 1.6.5 (or 1.6.6)
Arduino SAMD Boards 1.6.2 (or 1.6.1)
Adafruit AVR Boards 1.4.4
Adafruit SAMD Boards 1.0.4 (or 1.0.3)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Adafruit Feather 32u4"

C:\Apps\arduino-1.6.5-r5\libraries\Adafruit_WINC1500\src\Adafruit_WINC1500.cpp: In member function 'int Adafruit_WINC1500::hostByName(const char*, IPAddress&)':
C:\Apps\arduino-1.6.5-r5\libraries\Adafruit_WINC1500\src\Adafruit_WINC1500.cpp:656:14: error: 'class IPAddress' has no member named 'fromString'
if (aResult.fromString(aHostname)) {
^
Error compiling.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

-> With:
Arduino 1.6.5
Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.9
Arduino SAM Boards 1.6.5 (or 1.6.6)
Arduino SAMD Boards 1.6.2 (or 1.6.1)
Adafruit AVR Boards 1.4.4
Adafruit SAMD Boards 1.0.4 (or 1.0.3)

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"
avr-gcc: error: C:\Users\Miax\AppData\Local\Temp\build8680961842943693950.tmp/core.a: No such file or directory
Error compiling.

I have tried going further back in time with previous revisions of the Arduino AVR Boards library (1.6.5-1.6.8), but they all yield the first error (top one) shown, whereas 1.6.9 yields the seconds (bottom) error. I feel stuck. :(

Any thoughts are most welcome!

Kris

dhalbert

Post by dhalbert »

miax wrote:Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Adafruit Feather 32u4"
You don't have a Feather 32u4. You have a Feather M0. Choose that in the Board list (in the "Adafruit SAMD Boards" section of the menu).

The 32u4, Uno, etc. are AVR boards (that refers to the processor architecture). The M0 boards are ARM architecture; the manufacturer uses the prefix "SAMD" in the part number. There are different variations on ARM: M0, M3, etc.

miax

Post by miax »

Doh!

Thank you for telling me. :)

Could you ask someone to update the tutorial for these M0 WiFi ATWINC1500s? (URL: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... rduino-ide) Currently at the top of the page entitled, "Using With Arduino IDE", the first paragraph reads:

Since the Feather 32u4 uses an ATmega32u4 chip running at 8 MHz, you can pretty easily get it working with the Arduino IDE. Many libraries (including the popular ones like NeoPixels and display) work great with the '32u4 and 8 MHz clock speed.

ALso the screenshot (3rd graphic down) shows the selection of the Feather 32u4 that will need to be updated..

This is how I got lost. :)

I'll go try that now!

Thanks Again!!! :)

Kris
Last edited by miax on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

miax

Post by miax »

That did the trick!

I should have known better, and thought to myself, "That doesn't sound right", but it was in the tutorial so I went with it.

Now I can play with em!

Cheers,

Kris

dhalbert

Post by dhalbert »

miax wrote:Could you ask someone to update the tutorial
I am not Adafruit staff - I am a customer, but I think your request will get seen.

adafruit_support_rick

Oops - that page is mirrored from the 32U4 tutorial. I'll see about getting it fixed.

miax

Post by miax »

dhalbert wrote:
miax wrote:Could you ask someone to update the tutorial
I am not Adafruit staff - I am a customer, but I think your request will get seen.
Ahhh, well thank you Very Much for your help on this. :) I would not have seen it otherwise.

It is much appreciated!

Kris

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”