How do i connect a X0xbox to ableton ?

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mikesausage

How do i connect a X0xbox to ableton ?

Post by mikesausage »

Help ! how do i connect a x0xbox to ableton live 8 so that i can hear the patern i am programming in a MIDI channel and be able to sync it with the master tempo etc....?....sorry this sounds very basic but im completely lost, i managed to get it working at one point but now i cant anymore :/

need to take it from scratch, i am running midi out from the x0xbox into midi in on a m-audio ozonic, the x0xbox itself is going though a yamaha mg124 mixer who is going into the ozonic too (soundcard)

decoder23

Re: How do i connect a X0xbox to ableton ?

Post by decoder23 »

its the opposite way, if you want the x0xb0x to play the midi data from ableton. midi out from ozonic into midi in from your x0xb0x.
you have to set the x0xb0x to midi play mode and select the same midi channel in ableton as in your x0x.

if you want to synchronize your x0x with ableton, use the same setup, but change the play mode to midi sync on your x0x and watch out that ableton sends the clock signal (master).

mikesausage

Post by mikesausage »

thanks dude, i am getting a signal now (the lights on the x0xbox are flashing) but no sound, the clock signal is working by the looks of it but i still cant get both to sync up together when i change the master tempo, im sure im doing something wrong within ableton :/

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

hey

You need to output sync from ableton

Go to preferences and tick sync for the midi output the x0x is connected to. I t.urn em all
on !
eg;

To record the audio you need to set the input channel in ableton. Turn monitor off and the recording will be perfectly in sync :). Ideally youd have direct monitoring on your soundcard; which one you using? Ive got a focusrite and it works very well. My last one didnt have direct monitoring so you got a lag.

HTH.

mikesausage

Post by mikesausage »

hey thanks for replying, i use an m-audio ozonic as my soundcard !

thanks for the tip ill get on that straightaway and let you know !

mikesausage

Post by mikesausage »

nope still not working, when i switch it t midi sync theres no sound but for some weird reason when i switch it to patern edit i get sound and ableton picks it up but still does not sync it to master tempo.

im sure im just missing a very minute detail still.... hmmm

decoder23

Post by decoder23 »

if you wanna sync it you have to use the sequencer from your x0xb0x cause in this mode, your x0xb0x doesnt recieve your midi notes from ableton. programm a pattern in your x0xes sequencer, set it to midi sync. press play in ableton and your x0xb0x should start playing in sync now. if you change the tempo in ableton, the tempo of your x0xb0x should change too. you cant change the tempo, stop or start on your x0xbox this way, cause its in slave mode... you have to do it in ableton.
if you wanna use your x0xb0x as master, you have to switch your midi cable from midi out x0x to midi in of your soundcard, set ableton to recieve start/stop messages and set the mode on your x0x to syncout.
in midi mode your x0xes sequencer wont start, it just recieves the midi note messages. you dont have to sync it in tempo cause it just plays the notes from your ableton clip, syncing wouldnt make any sense ;)
hope this helps you a bit

mikesausage

Post by mikesausage »

cool, thanks guys ! i managed to get it to play and sync by using midi play mode, i still cant get it to work the way i want by using the x0xboxs sequencer for some reason, but i will get there. thanks for taking the time to help me out !

Burrows

Post by Burrows »

Mike in this thread am having the same problem did u ever get it the bottom of it?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”