Problem Syncing 808 to x0xb0x when MPC is midi master to x0xb0x

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mediocrates

Problem Syncing 808 to x0xb0x when MPC is midi master to x0xb0x

Post by mediocrates »

Hello,

I just purchased my first x0xb0x. It is used, and I was told by the guy who sold it to me, that it was made by MomeRath. I and am quite pleased overall with the sound. I am, however, having a problem getting the device to syn properly with the 808 when it is being controlled by the MPC as MIDI master.

1) When I set x0xb0x as master, and connect dinsync to 808, they both start at the same time, and stay synced as long as it's playing.
1) When I set 808 as master, and connect dinsync to x0xb0x, they both start at the same time, and stay synced as long as it's playing.
2) When I use MPC as master, and control x0xb0x using midi, they both start at the same time, and stay synced as long as it is playing.
3) However, when I have MPC Midi out to x0xb0x, then send dinsync from x0xb0x to 808, the 808 starts with a bit of a lag (808 starts about half a beat after the MPC and x0xb0x, which remain syncronized with one another.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Is it a configuration issue, or perhaps something more serious.

Thanks,
Anthony

paradigm x

Re: Problem Syncing 808 to x0xb0x when MPC is midi master to x0xb0x

Post by paradigm x »

Hi

Sorry, i cant help, but i had a very similar situation once, my friend brought his 808 and a midi'd tb303 up and we tried to sync it to ableton via MIDI, and then dinsync to the 808, it all worked fine exactly like you but half a beat out.

We never did work it out. :(

Maybe its a problem with the tr808 generally?

Interested to hear if theres a fix.

Post by guest »

that sounds like a bug in the x0x code
although i wouldnt know how to fix it

is the delay time constant
or does it get longer as you slow the tempo down

mediocrates

Post by mediocrates »

guest wrote:that sounds like a bug in the x0x code
although i wouldnt know how to fix it

is the delay time constant
or does it get longer as you slow the tempo down
I just checked, and can confirm that the delay gets longer when the tempo of the master device (MPC2500) is slowed. I slowed the MPC to 30bpm, and the delay was much longer. It seems that it is a 1/16th note delay regardless of the bpm.

Also, to correct what I said before, it actually looks like the x0x and thee 808 are both delayed 1/16th from the start of the MPC (but in sync with one another).

MPC ---(midi)---> x0x ---(dinsync)--->808
..................^
1/16th delay here

Does anyone else have a similar set of equipment with which they could test this configuration?

thanks

Post by guest »

do you have any other gear
that you can slave to the mpc
just to make sure its not the mpc

do you know how old your x0x is
or what firmware rev it has on it
there was a midi sync delay issue about 4 years ago
but that got fixed
you can open it up and see what it says on the micro
it might have a sticker that say v1.05

mediocrates

Post by mediocrates »

]Hi,

My MPC midi works fine with other machines.

Here's an image of the board. Says v1.0. The outer box seems pretty old, and looks like it's been painted a few times. The top plate is clear plastic with white lettering. it looks like there is black construction paper behind the clear plastic board. It is modded with a power switch, and another switch, which changes the envelope in some way (makes the sound staccato). The guy who sold it to me said that he got it from mome rath.

Anyway, since its a v1.0 does that mean that I should upgrade the firmware somehow?

Image<br>
Image<br>

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

Do you have a sticker with a number on the "big chip" on the board?

mediocrates

Post by mediocrates »

Yes, the sticker says the following: x0xb0x v1.04 2/11/06.

What does this tell us?

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

It tells us that if no-one has upgraded the firmware you need to do that. 1.04 is really old. :)

jmejia

Post by jmejia »

I have the EXACT same problem, only my master clock is my octatrack.
I have tried with an MPC as well.. same thing.

The x0x is in time, but my tr-808 (or 606 for that matter) are delayed as din-sync slaves to the x0x. Depending on the tempo it's better/worse. At 125 it sounds almost like a flam (compared to a kick drum getting midinotes on the same downbeats from the octatrack/master, and at very slow tempos it starts to sound more like a 16th or even 8th note delay. I've tried adaos 1.5, sokkos 1.7, 1.9 and 2.0b. All have the same issue. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is this just a problem with the midi to din firmware in the x0x across the board? The only solution I've found is to pre-delay midi clock - which is possible from a DAW.. but I don't want to use a computer. That's stupid. It also would mess with any other midi sync slaves. (Like the x0x for that matter).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”