I killed my xoxbox

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
naturecollision

Re: I killed my xoxbox

Post by naturecollision »

guest wrote:yes
when measuring voltages it needs to be on

if you put your probe on the center pin
of the cutoff pot
it should vary from 12v to 4.5v
it varies from 0 to 2,4V im checking if this has something to do with the software not loading or I have a faulty pot.

edit1: the working filter pot of the other box goes from 0 to 7V, so basically the same range as 4.5 to 12v, dont know why my multimeter shows 0 to 7 volt - interestingly the env mod knob of both boxes share the same characteristics as the first one which goes to about 2,4V, but they all are labelled A50K - is it possible that there are pots with different volt ranges but identical labeling, or maybe there is additional information below the pots, dont wanna loosen them now with the solderin iron, which btw is quite a hazzle I found out

Or is it possible that wrong a wrong resistor causes this measurement difference? I doubt it, but I am not skilled at electronics, its about 10 years ago in school when I learned those basics ;)

I tried to solder out the working pot and put it into the faulty box, but I did not manage phisically! I mean how do you loose 5 contacts at once? pheew...Is there a trick to it that I dont know of?

greets
nature

edit2...hm well maybe I take an old TRS cable and bridge the contacts of the working one to the faulty one, leaving that one in 0 position, so I could see if the box adapts the higher control range... :)

edit3: this is so strange, on ladyada it says I need 2 50K D (log) potentiometers for VR3 (cutoff) and vr5 (envmod) which would mean that my working xox with the bigger cutoff range has different pots, as one goes to 7v and the other has the 2,4V...so strange, dont know anymore which box has a problem - well the first with the bigger range sounds right! the other one not, though the other one has on vr3 and vr5 a 2,4V range, so it seems their pots are identical...so strange. going to check all resistors now... :/

eidt4: uhm, did you get the news of some weeks ago? china wants to build 40 new nuclear powerplants Oo that might be a bit tougher than assembling a xox ^^

edit 5: some success: R47 is differing also visually from one to the other box, it looks connectd to vr4 though

naturecollision

success! R47 made the voltages of vr3 go to 2,4V max, I switched the resistor for testing and it worked right away - now all I need it a tiny little 10K 5% resistor and of course the preprogrammed chip - thanks to all of you especially "guest" - I will keep you updated if it all worked out!

naturecollision

ok everything worked out, but I have found a malfunctioning led which i first changed, then the light was too weak, after changing the resistor from 10k to 1k it did not work anymore at all, but I think the problem is that second time i really cleaned (little lead sucker) the holes of the led, now im not able anymore to get led into them it just sticks with the iron...very strange, anyways I dont really know where the contacts have to be made.

does someone have some advice how to do this tecnically? I dont get any current on the led resistor slot while the others have about 3v...really dont know what im doing wrong, where are the contact points of the leds? are they in the inside of the holes of the pcb?

Post by guest »

if the holes have gotten damaged
you can just connect the resistor
directly to the leg of the led

you can do the same thing
with the led leg that goes to ground
if its pads are damaged as well

naturecollision

guest wrote:if the holes have gotten damaged
you can just connect the resistor
directly to the leg of the led

you can do the same thing
with the led leg that goes to ground
if its pads are damaged as well
hm that sounds interesting, but how would I connect the resistor to the legs of the led without removing it from it slots, do i have to build a bridge with some kind of wire?

edit: ahh finally, I think i got the way to solution, the lighter green lanes on the pcb actualle look like representing the way the electrons flow...

so i just have to go back to their first solder point in the circuit of resistor and led and connect with them manually, bypass the holes where the contacts are broken...

will tell you if that worked in about 10 minutes.

edit2:

done!
look: it was fun, i just took the 5v from ic8 and connected the resistor on one of its ends to the connector acoording to the lighter green pcb lines...first i measured if that could work, then i tried with holding the led between that points (and it was lit then) and then i did it...pretty simple if you know how, but I really had no idea wether about soldering nor about pcb layouts or how they basically work, was fun alltogether :) thx for the help! especially "guest"
Attachments
SDC11504.JPG
SDC11504.JPG (709.76 KiB) Viewed 1826 times

Post by guest »

congratulations
im glad to hear its working
and good job figuring it out

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”