Want to use the x0x in my live sets...

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nectarios

Want to use the x0x in my live sets...

Post by nectarios »

Hello people,
Question regarding integrating the x0xb0x in my live sets. I use Logic Pro to play live and what I am looking for is to have the x0x synced to my MacBookPro via my Focurite Saffire's MIDI port. Yet I want to be able to either press Start (as you would when you've cued up your first beat on the CDJ) and the x0x would drop in time. pattern (midisync) does not allow me to Start/Stop the patterns when ever I please. Otherwise, find a way to send a start/stop message at various points in my live set arrangement. The obvious way of MIDIplay mode works just fine, although the timing of the x0x's sequencer, is tighter.

Peace out.

antto

Re: Want to use the x0x in my live sets...

Post by antto »

so what's the question?
to make things clear.. if you're using the x0x with a number of different patterns for your "song" and you want to start somewhere in the middle of the song and the x0x to play from there - that's not possible afaik

there will be a way in the future maybe (with n0nx0x firmware)

nectarios

Post by nectarios »

Cheers. I just re-read what I wrote, should have included a question mark in there...anyhow, I've also been told by other people that I can't just drop in the x0x anytime I please and I can't send start/stop messages from my sequencer whenever I want the x0x to start/stop at any point in the set.
I have been suggested a good idea that I will try out tho, create a "rest" pattern that I can switch to and then simply switch back to the desired pattern. The x0xb0x is going to be playing from start to finish of the live set, it will just be playing rest notes when I want it to stop...Alternatively, I will simply use the mixer's mutes to bring it in and out and use the headphone output to audition/build patterns on the fly.
Just hope the x0xb0x's sequencer will not mind my tempo automation changes that I have going in the live set...I can only start the arrangement once and then hope the x0x stays in sync through out the BPM changes, for the full 2 hours.

Peace out.

nectarios

Post by nectarios »

By the way, if anyone that develops firmware for the x0x, is reading this...and if its possible, off course....please include some kind of mode where the x0xb0x can always listen to the incoming MIDI tempo, yet allows to drop the pattern in by pressing the Run/Stop button. That would be propa!

Peace out.

antto

Post by antto »

the x0xb0x should stick to the tempo even if it's automated
but i have some bad impressions from midisync..
my DAW (i don't want to mention it) sends odd midisync, specifically the midi start message
the MIDI specification tells that MIDI_START should be sent to tell the devices to "prepare" to start, and the actual start comes at the very next MIDI_CLOCK signal
well, my DAW didn't quite do that it seems

so i wrote a VST plugin which generates MIDI sync..

as for using the x0x with a DAW and changing patterns..
the n0nx0x firmware (and VB-303) will have this "MIDI-Trigger" mode
basically, play a D-4 note, and the x0xb0x will start playing a pattern which corresponds to that note
when the note goes OFF - the x0xb0x stops
this way you can use all 128 patterns (there are 128 midi notes..)
but this will be available only with the mythical CPU upgrade..

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

nectarios wrote:By the way, if anyone that develops firmware for the x0x, is reading this...and if its possible, off course....please include some kind of mode where the x0xb0x can always listen to the incoming MIDI tempo, yet allows to drop the pattern in by pressing the Run/Stop button. That would be propa!

Peace out.
It will stay in sync.
But, the step might get shifted (ie x0x step 2 is in sync with step 1 of your sequence) if you use different pattern lengths or looping within the patterns.
If you use Sokkos you can manually shift the pattern one step forward or backwards at a time by pressing and holding next and then pressing prev or reverse or reset the pattern:
"Nudge in pattern-play. Hold PREV and press NEXT to skip a step, Hold NEXT and press PREV to stutter a step.
Restart a pattern/loop in pattern play. Just press and hold CHAIN and press PREV to restart the pattern/loop from the first step."

It works just fine in live sets - if you use sokkos.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”