Side by side comparison review

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
303user

Side by side comparison review

Post by 303user »

Hi all, because I own both a TB-303 and a x0xb0x I decided to have a good listen to note any differences and the results surprised me a fair bit. I have owned many 303's over the years and consider myself somewhat of an expert on the intricacies of the sound, given that there is much variation between TB-303's due to factors such as revision, age, amount of use and even power supply issues.

1. The sequencer on the x0x is pretty damn close in behaviour to the TB, the only time it sounds wrong is when either an accent is entered on a rest, or the note range is beyond the original sequencers range.

2. Resonance - A few people have remarked that the resonance does not go as high, actually on mine it does (I selected the transistors with a beta of 340 ) the only difference is when envelope modulation is applied, the 303 seems to go slightly higher when env mod is fully CW. Easy to fix if required.

3. Accent - On the x0x accent seems to be slightly louder, this is trivial though since (a) you can turn it down a bit! (b) There is variation between 303's (and I suspect x0x's too)

4. Output level - The x0x is a fair bit louder!

5. S/N ratio - I was glad to hear the familiar VCA noise on the 303 is also present, it makes it sound very authentic.

6. Square Wave - The biggie! x0x pulls it off, again I used a tranny with a very high beta and it does the job. Yay!

7. Internal gain - It seems to me that there is a very slight mismatch with my 303 and my x0x with regard to VCO level into filter, the x0x seems to distort the filter slightly more than my TB, this becomes more apparent when I use a distortion pedal as the x0x needs to be turned down a fair bit, this of course is also related to the x0x's higher output level.

8. Envelope - The x0x seems a lot more punchy than my 303 at certain settings, this could be down to better tolerances of components and the fact that my 303 is over 20 years old.

So which is best?

I never thought I'd say this but the x0x FOR SOME applications is actually BETTER than my 303, overall I'd say they are on equal footing soundwise since the 303 is still better in other ways, notably for softer music and trebly acid lines. For hard acid the x0x wins though, it sounds stiffer and more punchy but still retains the fluidic groove that makes the 303 sound so appealing. The 303 sounds better thru my BOSS DS1 distortion though.

:)

adafruit

Re: Side by side comparison review

Post by adafruit »

303user wrote: 5. S/N ratio - I was glad to hear the familiar VCA noise on the 303 is also present, it makes it sound very authentic.
we strive for authenticity, even when that means it sucks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”