MIDI sequencing external synth problem

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mossy

MIDI sequencing external synth problem

Post by mossy »

I really hope someone can help me with this problem. I want to use my xoxbox's midi out to play my xoxbox patterns on an external synth. It works but as well as playing the programmed notes it is making the external synths produce unwanted noise on the rests too. Kind of a very low rumble with a click too when it should be silent :(
I don't have a clue how to solve this. It is definitely something to do with the xoxbox coz it does the same with all my synths (juno 106, microkorg, minitaur).
pleeeease help me!!

mossy

Re: MIDI sequencing external synth problem

Post by mossy »

so I figured I might have to update the firmware. I have a willzyx x0xb0x which I think has the original .1.05 firmware.
I am trying to update the firmware to sokkOS on my mac using the x0xcon software. I got x0xcon running but can't get it to connect to the x0xb0x. I downloaded some drivers but it's still not working. It's just not connecting.
Can anyone tell me exactly which driver I need? I have trawled the forums but I can't figure this stuff out because my computer knowledge is very limited!
What a nightmare! I just wanna make some tunes. please help meeee!!!

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

mossy wrote:so I figured I might have to update the firmware. I have a willzyx x0xb0x which I think has the original .1.05 firmware.
I am trying to update the firmware to sokkOS on my mac using the x0xcon software. I got x0xcon running but can't get it to connect to the x0xb0x. I downloaded some drivers but it's still not working. It's just not connecting.
Can anyone tell me exactly which driver I need? I have trawled the forums but I can't figure this stuff out because my computer knowledge is very limited!
What a nightmare! I just wanna make some tunes. please help meeee!!!
I am a little bit confused... The standard 1.05 firmware should be able to send midi-notes to an external Synth in "midi-play"-mode!
What do you do exactly? Which x0xb0x mode do you use?
Just a x0xb0x with a midi-cable connected from x0xb0x midi-out to midi-in in your external synth? No other connection? No connection from midi-out of the synth to midi-in of the x0xb0x!
And in the audio-out of the external synth you hear unwanted noise or what?
No computer involved?
And what do you mean by x0xc0n? I only know of c0ntr0l or BANNED!
Please explain exactly what you do and we try to help you!

mossy

Post by mossy »

thanks for the reply. I'll try to explain better.
My x0xb0x is sending the midi notes fine but it's also sending other midi notes I don't want it to. It sounds like maybe it is sending a midi note on the RESTs in the x0xb0x pattern. So the external synths make unwanted noise in the silent parts of my x0xb0x patterns.
I thought this maybe some kind of firmware bug so I've been trying to update my firmware to sokkOS using conb0x (sorry I made a mistake before, this stuff is wrecking my head!!).
I am using a mac on osx 10.8 and I got conb0x running but can't get it to communicate with the x0xb0x. I don't know if I downloaded exactly the right USB drivers or what I'm doing wrong.
As you can see I'm not an expert on this technical stuff. Are people having success updating the firmware using conbox on the mac?

mossy

Post by mossy »

I DID IT!!! IT WORKS.... WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

mossy wrote:I DID IT!!! IT WORKS.... WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!
What works now? The BANNED or the os update or the midi out?
Please explain!

mossy

Post by mossy »

I managed to do the firmware update (randomly it decided to work suddenly) and that fixed my initial problem. sweeet! time to make some tunes!
respect to the x0xb0x community... RAVE ON :mrgreen:

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

mossy wrote:I managed to do the firmware update (randomly it decided to work suddenly) and that fixed my initial problem. sweeet! time to make some tunes!
respect to the x0xb0x community... RAVE ON :mrgreen:
So the 1.05 Firmware has a midi-out-mode bug?
Didn't knew that - but I use sokkos anyway!
Regards!

antto

Post by antto »

roxxx303 wrote: I am a little bit confused... The standard 1.05 firmware should be able to send midi-notes to an external Synth in "midi-play"-mode!
correction: MidiPlay mode is when the x0xb0x sequencer is not used, and the x0xb0x acts as a monophonic synth - takes midi notes and plays them

sending midi notes Out happens always when the internal sequencer controls the x0xb0x
the sequencer usually also sends midisync together with the notes

so the issue here could have been related, who knows

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

antto wrote:
roxxx303 wrote: I am a little bit confused... The standard 1.05 firmware should be able to send midi-notes to an external Synth in "midi-play"-mode!
correction: MidiPlay mode is when the x0xb0x sequencer is not used, and the x0xb0x acts as a monophonic synth - takes midi notes and plays them

sending midi notes Out happens always when the internal sequencer controls the x0xb0x
the sequencer usually also sends midisync together with the notes

so the issue here could have been related, who knows
You're right: "Pattern (Sync out)"-mode is the right mode! I mixed up the names (there are too many modes - and I don't even know what for the user modes are, when theres is even not enough memory left for the basic modes!)

I had problems with Synths receiving midi-sync-data and creating such "ghost"-notes (My Novation Drumstation does so!)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”