Is that the End of the x0xb0x ???

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
roxxx303

Is that the End of the x0xb0x ???

Post by roxxx303 »

Has anyone yet heard about the new tb303-clone from HongKong "Cyclone Analogic TT-303"
which looks and feels like a real tb but will be available at the same price as a complete alu-x0xb0x?:
For me it looks like an april-fools-joke, but even the master of devilfish says he will expand the new clone:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/ ... more-46003

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2012/11/full-d ... b-303.html

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/TT- ... .1_ENG.pdf

http://www.cyclone-analogic.fr/fr/

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/TT-303/

What do you think about it????

antto

Re: Is that the End of the x0xb0x ???

Post by antto »

it's not a joke, as it's already been sold, even tho there's no detailed information about it
it's basically Mr. Cy from technology transplant afaik
Robin W. is supporting it because he has business with Cy/TT from before, and will be making devilfish mod for this thing too

personally, some things about it are a bit "wtf" to me..
like it's name "Bass Bot" :shock:
they seem to be restricting information still, some folks have uploaded videos of programing patterns into the thing and the "manufacturer" has requested they take such videos down.. huh, but they *do* sell them
they do let them show videos of it controlled via midi, but all videos so far had very poor sound quality and it's impossible to tell how it really sounds like :roll:

no one asks if the "OS" of this will be updatable in an easy way
it doesn't have dinsync

it seems the RGB LEDs are an important feature :shock:
it has a "vco calibration on demand" but what about the other internal adjustments you'd expect on a 303?
how about moddability?

oh well, it may look like a 303, besides the ugly logo and the embarasing name, but if i have the money - i'd get another x0x without a doubt

x0xb0x is good, you can build it yourself, tweak it and adjust it till it sounds right to your taste
it's definately not going to kill the x0x
nor will it make the TB-303 prices go down
[/methinks]

am4d

Post by am4d »

And it doesn't have the TBs sweet tap mode, thats a deal breaker for me.

altitude

Post by altitude »

And the Cease and desist letter is probably in the mail from Roland, that design is trademarked. I here it was designed in the USA by some guy who goes by REZlab

Luap

Post by Luap »

I imagine it's the same one I posted about here? (over a year ago now)
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21431

Either way, I doubt it means the end of the x0xb0x. After all, the x0xb0x was intended as a DIY project. The TT303 is ready built. And apart from looking near identical to a genuine 303, I can't see that it holds any real world advantage over a x0xb0x?
The x0xb0x is as good a clone as you could wish for, if properly built. The fact that many were far from properly built is about the only thing that counts against it (And whos fault is that? ;) )

Who knows, maybe the TT303 is actually a good clone? But there is an awful lot about it that makes me more than a little wary. Like the points already mentioned above, and the occasional first time posters springing up on certain forums that already give the TT303 a faultless review (while conveniently claiming to also have a genuine 303 to compare with, and strangely diss the x0xb0x while they are at it Image )

While im here. Taken from Mr Whittles site..
"TT" stands for "21st Century Transistor Technology".
Really Robin? Really?? :lol:

antto

Post by antto »

at first i also thought it's the same thing from that video from one year ago, but it seems not
that one was by TouchedBySound, it doesn't look like SMD

substyler

Post by substyler »

huh... this TT clone sounds awful to my ears.
again we'll see: design is not all :mrgreen:

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

SubStyler wrote:huh... this TT clone sounds awful to my ears.
again we'll see: design is not all :mrgreen:
Hi substyler,

you're alive!

Have you still seen such a machine. are they real?
What's inside it? A x0xb0x, ml-303, modern technology?...

P.S.. Do you still have some acryl-x0xb0x-plates for standard xoxbox or a black-plate for the aluminium case left?
You built my alu-x0x and I would like to have a black top!

cheers!

substyler

Post by substyler »

hi roxxx303,

it's real I think (but I don't really care :mrgreen: )
I have no idea what's inside but it's surely not a x0x.

I'm out of the x0x-biz so I have no more parts to sell, I'm sorry.
you could ask the x0xsh0p successor for parts, the website is still valid.

best,
SubStyler

ps: I'm currently working on this 808/606 clone which I have talked about a few month ago. the first prototype is in progress.
but I think it will not be sold as a DIY kit. it's maybe too much work for a DIY kit!
Attachments
808_606.jpg
808_606.jpg (223.85 KiB) Viewed 12015 times

veracohr

Post by veracohr »

I don't know what it sounds like, but the most glaring thing that jumps out at me is the use of a 4-pole filter, whereas the 303 and x0x use a 3-pole filter. Seems like if they were trying to make it sound as close as possible to a 303, they'd use the same design.

rv0

Post by rv0 »

@veracohr
It is a common misconception that the filter is a 3 pole 18dB per octave design when in fact it is 4-pole 24dB per octave
Just quoting wikipedia

But if you want to get technical : http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/index.php?pge=diode2

veracohr

Post by veracohr »

darffader wrote:@veracohr
But if you want to get technical : http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/index.php?pge=diode2
Yes, actually I appreciate the technical. Allow me to remove my foot from my mouth now.

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

Anyone still got one?

Some people say it's better than a x0xb0x.
See comment on Synthopia:
(http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/ ... more-46003)

Bonnline on December 1, 2012 at 6:41 am said:

Got mine today and let me tell you now that it really, really does sound like the original. I compared it to my TB and was shocked at how close it was. It put my xoxbox in it’s place! I luv the xoxbox but the Bass Bot is better.

But he didn't write what kind of x0xb0x he has got.
I believe it must be a mode machines, because my x0xsh0p-x0xb0x sounds really close to my tb.

antto

Post by antto »

as far as sounding like a 303 goes, the TT-303 has less chance than a proper x0xb0x IMO
both the TB-303 and the x0xb0x use "normal" components, while the TT-303 uses surface-mount

while you can find rare parts and put them in your x0x, it's not the same with the TT-303, you are not even supposed to open it (see manual) and there is no schematic for it, i doubt they kept it consistent with the 303 (like the x0x does)

Note: i don't mean that the TT-303 would be terribly off
i just mean that the x0x has a slightly better chance to sound like a 303.. :wink:
if one even thinks it doesn't

Luap

Post by Luap »

roxxx303: That review is strikingly similar to a "review" by a 1 poster over at gearslutz. He never returned to answer some queries put to him. A shill review? Maybe.. :wink:
That isn't to say the TT303 is bad. Maybe it is good. But it irks me to see people shun the x0x when technically it has rather more in common with an original 303 than the TT303 does. Therefor it stands to reason a (properly built) x0x will sound more authentic too.

On the other hand, the less well informed will guzzle down the placebo pill that is the authentic appearance of the TT303, and praise it because of that alone. I'd take authentic guts over authentic appearance any day. Ultimately, I want to use and listen to it, im less interested in how it looks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”