Electric x0xb0x acid test

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Which witch is which?

Left channel is x0xb0x. Right channel is TB-303
48%
Right channel is x0xb0x. Left channel is TB-303
37%
Other (you can't tell the difference, think both are TB-303, both are x0xb0x, one is Rebirth, etc. etc.)
15%

Total votes: 27

adafruit

Electric x0xb0x acid test

Post by adafruit »

Two pattern loops (stereo 192kbs MP3) have been posted to the samples page.

The patterns were programmed into a x0xb0x and TB303, which were DINSYNC'd together. The two were then tweaked in unison and recorded with one acting as left channel output and one acting as right channel output.

To play, listen to both using an MP3 player where you can 'pan' the balance of left/right channels. Then vote on what you think is the configuration we used. Both files have the same configuration.

(Thanks to Brox & the German)

switchflipper

Post by switchflipper »

That's impressive! I'm having a hard time being able to distinguish the difference between the channels.

Well done!

Post by Guest »

Right channel TB-303

Good work indeed anyways!

:D

Diao

Post by Diao »

I think the right channel is the 303, it seems to have that classic TB gurgle to its filter, where the left is just a bit more dry. Had you not put the original 303 with the x0x though, I think I would have mistaken it for a 303. Very nice. It's making me just that much more anxious..... :D

Post by Guest »

right channle seems to have more resonance in the filter then the left, so I am going to say that the right is the orrigional tb303

Post by guest »

I think the right channel is the real 303 as well, although they are extremely close.

The right channel has more of a high frequency chirp at extreme resonance.

That said, the left channel (which I assume is the x0xb0x) has a seemingly thicker midrange and deeper, crunchier gurgle-- in some ways I actually prefer this one.

Outstanding work, whatever the true configuration! :D

Post by Guest »

I'm sure it's the right channel too. Either way, it's a tough one. Very close.

Great work guys.

emulator

Post by emulator »

Yeah, it's the right channel for sure.

Grishnakh

Post by Grishnakh »

Right is the real 303 - although I accidently voted the other way around I think. :oops:

Nice, though - the real 303 seems to have a bit brighter filter, and slightly faster envelope, but very, very nice nevertheless.

acid test

Post by guest »

right channel seems to have a subtle zippy slide on one of the lower notes in pattern 2, where the left channel just seems to stop for an instant.
i would guess 303 is on the right

Post by Guest »

Left x0xb0x, right real 303....

Post by guest »

303 on the left. XoxBox on right.

resonance is too whistly on xox.

when filter gets closed towards the end, i feel the left one has a bit more focus and "meat" in the bass, that i find typical for such closed filter positions on a real 303.

my 0.02

clusterchord@KSS

relaxing

Post by relaxing »

the chirp of the filter gives the right away as the 303

The constant changing of the sound makes it hard to A/B compare though.

303user

Post by 303user »

303 on right, x0x on left.

On the right channel the square wave sounds more hollow and fluid when the filter is closed with low resonance which sounds more like a 303 to my ears, I have been using 303's for 17 years and have never heard any clone do the square wave with low filter accurately. Of course I could be wrong in and the way the two are tweaked differs a fair bit so it could just be this.

Either way the x0x is a great sounding clone and at times it is very difficult to tell which is which, but at around 3.58 on the second clip that sounds exactly like a 303 on the right channel. If I am wrong then the x0x actually sounds better to my ears!

Congratulations, glad I'm on the waiting list :)

Post by Guest »

I'd like to hear an simple octave shift pattern with identical tuning, it is very difficult to tell with different tuning and all the realtime timbral changes. A more telling test would perhaps be static settings with say all controls low, the middle, then high.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”