Electric x0xb0x acid test

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Which witch is which?

Left channel is x0xb0x. Right channel is TB-303
48%
Right channel is x0xb0x. Left channel is TB-303
37%
Other (you can't tell the difference, think both are TB-303, both are x0xb0x, one is Rebirth, etc. etc.)
15%

Total votes: 27

moogah

Post by moogah »

Yup, thats the real deal on the right. Only the pops and the shortened slide gave it away tho.

nik

right channel has more sound?

Post by nik »

well ... i can't claim any great knowledge of the 303 sound, other than from records ...

but when i listened to this test i was a bit confused by one seemingly glaring difference betewen the right and left channels

the right channel appears to have SOMETHING ELSE going on in it?
at some point there are these (and this is extremely non technical) "sparkly, shimmery" sounds ... while the left channel appears to be a dry signlal.

Is there something else in the mix that was only sourced to the right side, or that is being cross faded back and forth ...

or does the original 303 realy have that much of a beautiful squech and bleep in it's filter section?

the left is great sounding ... but the right is orgasmic ...

i guess if this is the best clone and it still can't cut mustard to exact sound specs, then we must only conclude that the original 303 has an extra component: ANALOG ROLAND MAGIC :)

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

i was wrong!!!...sweeeeeet...I like the sound of the x0xb0x better :)

Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

the real one on the right has more of a fluff to it - like its been compressed slightly. But they behave the same, so sitting in a mix one would really have to worship the 303 sound to tell the difference. I like the sound of the 2 in unison - nice and chorusy!

Post by Guest »

left = real tb303

Radiance

Post by Radiance »

Q: Was the x0xb0x which was used in this test build with 2sa733p's with a high (+/- 340 or so) beta on positions Q8,Q9 & Q10?

The 303 Magus

Post by The 303 Magus »

:)
I've always said I am the king of the TB -303. No one can fool me. My ear is sharp and I know what a real TB-303 sounds like. Before I reveal to the world my very precise analysis I would like to commend the creators of this amazing clone for doing a great job on capturing the "PERSONALITY" of the TB-303.
Here Goes:
On Pattern 1 -- Clone on Left and "What I LOVE on the RIGHT"
On Pattern 2 -- Clone on Left and on the right ANOTHER CLONE!!! :twisted:
Now for the info on what gave it away:
On pattern one - the behaviour is there but the TB-303 punches more on the accents. (A very tight PUNCH)
On pattern 2 -- A Roland square wave is a Roland Square wave. Have never heard such a Sweet Square wave coming from any other machine.
The TB-303 chirps but its chirp is made of brilliant sparkling metal shimmering electricity crispily warming the RAW 1982's circuitry.
If I'm wrong please let us know I would like to place an order or perhaps pay extra to have one fully built and delivered.
Thank You,
The 303 Magus

Transducr

Post by Transducr »

So what about this clicking in the second pattern that it is now apparent was coming from the xoxbox?

gzifcak

pattern 2 - difference in programming?

Post by gzifcak »

i thought the slid note in the left channel (x0x, right?) in pattern 2 sounded shorter than the one in the right channel. so i downloaded it and looked at in audacity, and sure enough, it looks like there is a 16th note of difference in the long slid note. check it out.
i'm glad to know this is not a difference in the character.

zero01101

Post by zero01101 »

woah.
absolutely right.
i didnt take the time to calculate bpm or nuthin, but the left channel last note is notably shorter.
so says adobe audition.
well played.

kokoon

Post by kokoon »

ladyada said they missed a (one) slide in x0xb0x pattern.

that was a relief.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”