Presenting: x0xlarge the non-unobtanium cpuupgrade

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xlarge

Re: Presenting: x0xlarge the non-unobtanium cpuupgrade

Post by xlarge »

So you are thinking the uc locks up when BOD state triggers?

Post by guest »

thats my guess. one way to test this, is to set BOD to 2.7V, and then cause a brown out, and see if it locks up. it might also be good to test to see what happens when this BOD occurs before reset goes high, as in the traces you showed. ill keep reading up on the reset sources and looking through the code.

stiebZ

Post by stiebZ »

2.7 BOD also worked for me just fine - thanks for all involved making this upgrade !

Post by guest »

ive been digging into the BOD issue some more. i have the old cpu upgrade board here, and i have not been able to replicate the issue. this, along with the other tests conducted by others, leads me to believe it is a silicon problem. the 2.7V BOD is an ok workaround, but the device is not gauranteed to work below 4.5V (i will look at a more recent datasheet, because i cant believe this is still true). the main failure mode is EEPROM corruption during power dips. since all the valuable information is stored on the external EEPROM, this is probably not an issue, and since there is a bootloader, it can be restored. its possible the bootloader could get corrupted, but not that likely.

xlarge: what is the full part number on the chips and datecodes? i want to look into silicon revision on this part, and see if there are known bugs.

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

atmega256116au 1313

the textile ones are atmega256116au 1132 right?

two years in between...

antto

Post by antto »

my Vx (which i got from textile) was 1124 (which i then bricked and sent to Altitude, and Altitude sent his to me is 1218 .. i'm not sure about the last two digits)

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

YYWW

altitude

Post by altitude »

I got blank pcbs and sourced the uCs locally so who knows..

antto

Post by antto »

guest wrote:does someone currently have a non-working version, that works in 1 x0xb0x, but not another?
i built a willzyx x0x, and it's running with a x0xlarge cpu (with BOD=2.7)
my old x0x (from x0xsource) is running with Vx cpu with BOD=4.3

both of them x0xes are powered by "ANG" adapters which are 9VAC @ 0.66A (even bought from the same shop)
also, i replaced the LEDs on the old x0x to be same as on the new one, so both of them have the same LEDs with 10K resistors all over

today i hooked the x0xlarge cpu onto my programmer (via the ISP headers, yey) and changed to BOD to 4.3V

plugged it back into the x0x - doesn't work, no sign of life, no LEDs are lit, no blink, no sound, nothing
measured the voltages - everything is fine, 5.06V on the 5V line it goes onto the board as it should
tried shorting C105 multiple times as you have suggested in a previous post - still no blink nor sound out of it

then, i plug it into the old x0x (which has the socket completely "raped" from the fat pins on the Vx) - and it powers up there and works (but barely makes contact with the socket and i have to press it in all the time... BUT it works, buttons/leds/patterns/everything)

plug it in the new x0x - still nothing

what i haven't tried is to plug the Vx cpu into the new x0x
*EDIT* i just tried that, the Vx cpu (which is BOD=4.3 too) works on the new x0x

so yes, got two different x0xes, and a cpu with BOD 4.3 which works only in one of them
tell me what to try/test/probe/poke :mrgreen:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”