roland making a clone

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

roland making a clone

Post by guest »

this video is amazing
i watched it over and over to see if i could discern anything about their setup. all i could tell, is that they hacked the heck out of the tempo knob for some reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy428RHu1mw

kroffe

Re: roland making a clone

Post by kroffe »

now more specific for the TB-303:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy428RHu1mw

It will be interesting to hear how good this gets...

antto

Post by antto »

i don't want to hurry calling it a "clone" because then we'll have to put it to the test just like a x0xb0x or so, and.. well..

from the little i heard in that video, there's one little section where i hear accents
..i hope that wasn't with the accent knob at max, cuz it's totally missing the right cutoff ("wow") curve :?

isak

Post by isak »

A lot of good audio gear is realesed lately, this is going to be one of them :)

kroffe

Post by kroffe »

isak wrote:A lot of good audio gear is realesed lately, this is going to be one of them :)
Really? :)

Luap

Post by Luap »

The TR-8 and TB-3 actually seem pretty decent. Especially considering that they are not expensive.
It will certainly make some of the 303 clones harder to justify now, which might not be good news for this place. But it's a good "Shove off!" to some (well, 1??) clone maker/s out there.. :wink:

Post by guest »

i think the price is great, and so far it sounds ok, although what ive heard is limited. but no ENVMOD knob? seriously? there also doesnt seem to be a lot of ability to modify and save voices. but, the sequencer is pretty much the x0x sequencer - at least for entering patterns. i dont know about chaining and other pattern manipulation. the pressure sensitive x-y pad could have some good applications. all in all, im not as excited now that ive seen some demos of it, but i think its great for the price. the system1 looks like it will be way better. you can upload new synth engines to it.

altitude

Post by altitude »

heh, I noticed that immediately as well, good ol x0x sequencer

Luap

Post by Luap »

No envmod knob. But it looks like that is handled by the touch pad thingy. There is no decay knob though, and from what I can see, there isn't even a touchpad control for it either.
And I think it does chain patterns (saw it in one of the vids someplace). 32 step patterns are possible too.

So, a handful of original features were omitted, but several useful looking new ones were added.
Again though, it appears pretty decent for what it costs. I could be tempted to give one a go :wink:

antto

Post by antto »

as far as i can tell, when you press the ENVMOD button thing - you get X/Y = envmod/decay
no waveform switch (you have to change between preset 1 and 2 for saw/square)
patterns can be 1 to 32 steps long, you can chain them, but there doesn't appear to be anything like track mode
nothing mentioned about triplet pattern mode either
and their accent model is totally wrong, surprisingly

3phase

Post by 3phase »

guest wrote:the sequencer is pretty much the x0x sequencer - at least for entering patterns.
no..its pretty much way better than the xox sequencer since it offers real time input and the rest is just an editor for the sequences you play in by hand..the classical Roland concept..

The initial xox sequencer is just a rebirth sequencer.. a primitiv thing that only allows to dial in 1 bar phrases step by step, by try and error or typing after a score sheet. Very stiff workflow... In this regard the xoxbox is hardware version of rebirth but no 303 clone.

Regarding the TB-3 the vital question will be how well the workflow between realtime input and editing of it works in practice. As smoother this goes as better the instrument is.

The real sad thing about the airas is not theire digital engine..its that no analog cv´s or triggers get generated or accepted.. so not well suited for the common analog/digital hybrid setups.

aminoacid

Post by aminoacid »

My thouhts on the aira is:

Since theese are inexpensive, compared to the original machines which no music BANNED kids can afford, we might gonna hear some Good Old acid again at partys and on new records. A 303 today is mostly owned by some one who doesnt produce music. He/she just collect it like it was an expensive stamp. Prices are sooooo redicules!

And, is there din sync on theese machines?

tstk

Post by tstk »

Well FWIW I just bought a ready-built x0x that cost me less than the new Aira TB3 :))))

Long live the x0x!

PS: Nice to see you again 3Phase! Don't forget that a x0x can be sequenced externally with, say, an MPC, so realtime recording of patterns/sequences is by no means exclusive to the TB3 ;)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”