Xoxbox gating fault?

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
unloopy

Xoxbox gating fault?

Post by unloopy »

Hi,
I recently acquired a 2nd hand xoxbox and am unsure if I'm running into a fault.

When creating a pattern in pattern edit mode, I find that pressing the up octave key twice often (not always) causes steps to squeak oddly and pitch incorrectly when the pattern is played.

I've been through the manual and tried to find similar problems online can't tell if this is a fault or something I'm confused about.

Example: https://soundcloud.com/unloopy/x0xb0x-fault

Any help hugely appreciated.

antto

Re: Xoxbox gating fault?

Post by antto »

find a multimeter, and measure the voltage (use DCV mode on the multimeter) at the CV output
use KEYBOARD mode on the x0x, and play the notes...
on a low-C you should get 2V, low-C with transpose DOWN it should be 1V
then, each next octave should be 1V above..

do check the problematic notes, see if the voltage is "sane" or not

unloopy

Post by unloopy »

Ok. That will take me some time.

I've just noticed that the problem occurs whenever a note 3 octaves from the previous note sounded is played. I can play smoothly throughout the range unless I try to jump three octaves in which case the weird bleeping occurs. It happens whether triggered from the xox's own sequencer, the keyboard mode or an external sequencer.

unloopy

Post by unloopy »

Ok. I get 1V on lowest C (transpose down) and then 2,3,4 and 5 on subsequent octaves in any order.
When I play the lowest and then 3 oct up or the 2nd lowest and then 3 up from that I still see the correct voltages, but hear the problem sounds.

antto

Post by antto »

weird
so there aren't notes of wrong frequency, they just initially stress the filter and then it settles down quickly?

what are the specifications on the adaptor you're using?
and what kind of LEDs (could they be pulling loads of current)

can you record another clip, without any effects, just directly into the soundcard

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

That is some heavy warble going on at 0.08 and 0.10

unloopy

Post by unloopy »

Firstly, thanks for helping! The previous one was dry but through an old mixer, this one was directly into the soundcard.

https://soundcloud.com/unloopy/socksfault2

Lowest C to highest in octave increments from keyboard mode
Then a selection of spans between octaves. You can hear the effect whenever a note is followed by one 2 octaves higher or more (it doesn’t happen when the following note is lower).
Then a pattern showing similar at various tempos, only the problem only occurs during playback when 3 octaves are spanned.
Cutoff and decay set to max, res, env mod and accent to min, tune central. Then varied to see if someone with more experience can hear whether this is filter or vco. Square wave in all cases but it happens with saw too.

I'm not sure what leds were used. The ebayer I got it from isn't replying.
The adaptor is a 9V AC.

Edit: Red led's. Brain fart for a moment and I didn't realise what you were asking. :roll:

Dazbo

Post by Dazbo »

Open a PayPal case against him,item not as described / faulty and get your Doe back bro.

unloopy

Post by unloopy »

The seller is being helpful and is willing either to take it back or contribute towards a repair.

If anyone has any suggestions as to the repair-ability of something like this that would be useful.

unloopy

Post by unloopy »

I just tried the CV/gate triggering a microbrute. The same issue occurred so I think that must mean it is a problem with the CV which my multimeter was too slow to notice?
I need to decide if I'm going through the trouble of sending this back or not so if anyone can suggest anything I'd appreciate it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”