X0xb0x Problem / Plugged in wrong power supply

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ansome

X0xb0x Problem / Plugged in wrong power supply

Post by ansome »

I have had the x0b0x for a wile and it has worked fine, at a recent gig i was setting up in the dark and a plugged the wrong power supply into the back d'oh! it turned on and and hit run not noticing what i had done, after no sound was coming out i checked the back and noticed the wrong power supply so pulled it out immediately.

With the correct power supply it is working but very squelchy and has lost a lot of low end, also the filter is acting very strange and it just doesn't sound the same.

Any ideas what might have gone on it or how to fix it?

Thanks
Kieran

Luap

Re: X0xb0x Problem / Plugged in wrong power supply

Post by Luap »

I would guess that the incorrect power supply has partially baked some components within the x0xb0x. Probably knocking out the tolerance of its internal regulated supplies (It can sound different if the voltages are out of tolerance in there)
If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, I would probe the test points (listed in the build manual and on this forum someplace) and check the voltages are correct, retrim if necessary. Also check for scorched/bulging components around the regulators area.

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

What was the wrong powersupply? AC/DC? Voltages?

ansome

Post by ansome »

I believe it was dc, will buy a multi meter and try that out

cpolcyn

Post by cpolcyn »

I did a similar thing; accidentally plugged in AC18V 600mA and after maybe 10 to 20 seconds heard a pop and realized what I had done and immediately unplugged it. I looked inside and saw a capacitor blown out a bit on the top. It was C8 (100μF/25V) which is on the I/O board near the power jack. I replaced that and all seems good now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”