Writing a pattern while MIDI synced?

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jaabaa

Writing a pattern while MIDI synced?

Post by jaabaa »

Am I wrong or is it impossible to be synced by MIDI while writing a pattern (PATTERN EDIT mode)?

I've noticed :
* when PATTERN EDIT mode, no external MIDI synchronization :(
* when PATTERN MIDI mode, only PLAY, but no writing possible :(

Is this limitation true on a real TB303 too ?

Are there solutions to remove this limitation?

antto

Re: Writing a pattern while MIDI synced?

Post by antto »

the TB-303 didn't have MIDI to begin with (midi didn't exist yet)
with sokkos you can run the x0x in PatternPlay(MIDISYNC) mode and switch to PatternEdit mode without stopping.. then it works
as soon as you stop the sequencer it appears to switch into InternalSync which is the default for PatternEdit

one solution is:
in the n0nx0x2 firmware, sync modes and the actual sequencer modes are not tied together on the MODE selector, thus you set your sync mode from the settings (MIDISYNC or whatever) and then you can switch between any pattern/track modes
n0nx0x2 doesn't run on the x0x cpu and requires a cpu upgrade

jaabaa

Post by jaabaa »

antto wrote:the TB-303 didn't have MIDI to begin with (midi didn't exist yet)
yes of course, sorry, I meant synchronization in general (with CV/GATE / CLOCK TRIGGER or whatever the name).

on a real TB303, is it impossible to write a pattern while being synchronized with another drummachine (909 / 707) ?
really?
with sokkos you can run the x0x in PatternPlay(MIDISYNC) mode and switch to PatternEdit mode without stopping.. then it works
as soon as you stop the sequencer it appears to switch into InternalSync which is the default for PatternEdit
Can Sokkos be installed easily (without CPU upgrade)? Will there be some big differences that would change my usual workflow ? in the way we create patterns, etc.
in the n0nx0x2 firmware, sync modes and the actual sequencer modes are not tied together on the MODE selector, thus you set your sync mode from the settings (MIDISYNC or whatever) and then you can switch between any pattern/track modes
n0nx0x2 doesn't run on the x0x cpu and requires a cpu upgrade
hum... I don't plan a cpu upgrade right now... aren't there other solutions without upgrade?

antto

Post by antto »

jaabaa wrote:yes of course, sorry, I meant synchronization in general (with CV/GATE / CLOCK TRIGGER or whatever the name).

on a real TB303, is it impossible to write a pattern while being synchronized with another drummachine (909 / 707) ?
really?
the TB-303 has DinSync (in or out, like the x0xb0x, except whether it operates as in or out is not controlled by the cpu but by an actual switch in the DIN port.. when you plug the cable all the way in - the TB-303 switches to IN thus it's slaved.
the CV/Gate are only outputs, just like on the x0xb0x
and yes, you can use all mode of the TB-303 no matter if it's master or slave (in fact, the CPU has no idea whether it's running on its internal clock (which is analog) or an external one)
Can Sokkos be installed easily (without CPU upgrade)? Will there be some big differences that would change my usual workflow ? in the way we create patterns, etc.
you probably are running sokkos already since pretty much nobody puts the stock firmware on
sokkos is a modified version of the stock firmware, it adds some things on top and fixes some bugs
it runs on the original cpu, but now with sokkos v2 there is a build for the cpumod as well
you can flash sokkos2 (for the atmega162 cpu) with BANNED or with c0ntr0l
the pattern format is the same between the stock firmware and sokkos, sokkos2 adds triplet mode in addition
the pattern format in n0nx0x2 is different
hum... I don't plan a cpu upgrade right now... aren't there other solutions without upgrade?
there is always the option to pick up the actual code and modify it.. that's if you're familiar with C/C++
other than that, n0nx0x2 does what you want, but is radically different compared to the stock firmware and sokkos
and it requires a completely different front panel

jaabaa

Post by jaabaa »

and yes, you can use all mode of the TB-303 no matter if it's master or slave (in fact, the CPU has no idea whether it's running on its internal clock (which is analog) or an external one)
Hmm, that's interesting...
If so, then it could be useful to have the same on x0xb0x : to be able to write a pattern even with external sync (MIDI).
If it's possible on TB303, it would be interesting to have it on x0xb0x, don't you think so @antto?
there is always the option to pick up the actual code and modify it.. that's if you're familiar with C/C++
yes i do. where is the "main" (sokkos?) OS sourcecode? is it this : http://sourceforge.net/projects/x0xb0x/ ?
It seems to be Python code of the c0ntr0l software but not firmware?

PS: I'll try to join at #x0xb0x on freenode... Is it the right place?

antto

Post by antto »

jaabaa wrote:
Hmm, that's interesting...
If so, then it could be useful to have the same on x0xb0x : to be able to write a pattern even with external sync (MIDI).
If it's possible on TB303, it would be interesting to have it on x0xb0x, don't you think so @antto?
well, n0nx0x2 is meant to approximate the actual TB-303 sequencer, and it does all that including MIDISync
where is the "main" (sokkos?) OS sourcecode? is it this : http://sourceforge.net/projects/x0xb0x/ ?
It seems to be Python code of the c0ntr0l software but not firmware?
sokkos2 is here: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43270 ... use the zip file labeled "162" .. that's for the normal (atmega162) cpu

PS: I'll try to join at #x0xb0x on freenode... Is it the right place?
i'm there but you joined when i was asleep and then when i was at work
just stay for a little longer next time ;]

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”