My LEDs are red (how'd that happen?)

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DiscoVolante

My LEDs are red (how'd that happen?)

Post by DiscoVolante »

I got red LEDs. It's not a problem, I guess I'm just surprised. Anyone else get red ones, or was this just some fluke?

etaoin

Post by etaoin »

Aren't all x0xb0x LEDs red? I'd be more surprised if you'd received green or even blue ones!

DiscoVolante

Post by DiscoVolante »

Haha. I think you're right. I was fully expecting blue LEDs, because I remembered reading a bunch of the LED threads. I guess I've been inhaling too much solder smoke.

etaoin

Post by etaoin »

I guess I've been inhaling too much solder smoke.
Hehe I always thought the rosin smells quite nice. It's just all the lead that comes with it...

kokoon

Post by kokoon »

i don't think there's any lead in the fumes.

k-rite

Post by k-rite »

kokoon wrote:i don't think there's any lead in the fumes.
I'm pretty sure there is. I wouldn't inhale it. I even ventilate the room I'm in when soldering. You should definitely wash your hands after messing with solder that contains lead. I know that lead is really bad for children, so kids shouldn't even be around the area where soldering is occuring. It's always good to be on the safe side. :wink:

Post by Guest »

there is assuredly lead in the solder fumes
i always exhale onto the solder joint while soldering
to blow the fumes away from me
and to ensure that i dont inhale them

after long days of soldering ive gotten severe migranes
and others ive known have had their gums bleed

k-rite

Post by k-rite »

Anonymous wrote:after long days of soldering ive gotten severe migranes
and others ive known have had their gums bleed
i saw a program on the discovery channel of actors during the medevil times. they used this white lead based paint on their faces. the actors would get really painful sores and would eventually die from lead posioning.

bicky

Post by bicky »

normally lead cannot evaporate at soldering temperatures,
lead melts at 327°C but boils at 1749° and its vapor pressure at melting point is 4.21E-07Pa. that's even about 1000 times lower than mercury, and compare it to that of water at 0°C 610.6Pa.
Also, the OSHA permissible exposure limit (PEL) for lead is 50 ug/m3, as an 8-hour time weighted average, you will NEVER reach this by melting a few grams of solder with your iron on 370°C, you'd need like baths of lead at 1000°C...

the fumes arise from burning the organic flux and this is very unhealthy as it will contain possibly cancerogenous polycyclic hydrocarbons and 'half-burnt' sideproducts...
so just work in a well ventilated area, try not inhaling the fumes and if you can afford it and spend like days soldering, get one of those exhaust thingies

kokoon

Post by kokoon »

there 8)

i think inhaling lead vapors would be far more critical than flux fumes. washing hands on the other hand (no pun) is really necessary, especially before touching your face and putting stuff in your mouth.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”