OT: Who wants to build a 909?

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
crazy owen

Post by crazy owen »

oh I see, never used a 707/727. I thought I heard you can use them to sequence other gear using the 707/727 MIDI OUT but I must have mixed that info up, thanks for the info.

just picked up a R8mkII to use for internal sounds but also to sequence the 9090, that should keep the 9090 build as simple as possible for now. I'll make a dedicated MBSeq box for it whenever something like that gets figured out.. I would love to have a P3-sequencer look-a-like XOX-sequencer that I could use for all sorts of rack mounted gear.

NullSquare

Post by NullSquare »

Welp. I was bored and this is what happened. The front panel layout for the my 9090. I am fairly certain that I am leaving something out, but hey, I haven't slept yet.

phono

Post by phono »

looks like a colorblind test card :lol:

doug wellington

Post by doug wellington »

crazy owen wrote:just picked up a R8mkII to use for internal sounds but also to sequence the 9090, that should keep the 9090 build as simple as possible for now.
How do you like the R-8mkII? I have the first R-8 (mkI?) and two R-8m rack mounts. Man the R-8 is a beast! It makes my Yamaha RY-30 look puny! :D
I'll make a dedicated MBSeq box for it whenever something like that gets figured out.. I would love to have a P3-sequencer look-a-like XOX-sequencer that I could use for all sorts of rack mounted gear.
Have you looked at my design for that?

http://www.analognotes.com/mbmatrixseq

I'll get back to working on that once I'm done with the MB-808 panels and cases...

Doug
Last edited by doug wellington on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NullSquare

Post by NullSquare »

:lol: Yeah. It has that kind of look, but hopefully the sea of banana jacks and labeling that are going to cover it will help better clarify its purpose.

Red, Yellow, Grey, Orange, Blue - Banana Jacks (Blue is CV In for the Z5000)

Small Yellow - Toggle Switches

Small Green - Bi-Color LEDs

White - Knobs

Dark Ring - 1/4" 2.5V CV Out

crazy owen

Post by crazy owen »

Doug Wellington wrote:How do you like the R-8mkII? I have the first R-8 (mkI?) and two R-8m rack mounts. Man the R-8 is a beast! It makes my Yamaha RY-30 look puny! :D
Doug
I really like it, spent a few hours last week setting up the A,B,C,D,E drum kits/pads with the sounds I prefer, damn there are a lot of sounds in there to choose from! I'm stoked to have 80 sounds available in any pattern and at all times to jam with. It has some serious polyphony but I'm always searching for a TR-909 ride cymbal that I need to sequence out of my CS6X as there isnt one on the R8mkII. I've made some good beats recently on it... minimal patterns for coming up with ideas on the synths, techno, electro and some wacky stuff to send thru effects for ambient or downtempo. Nice to have so many individual outputs to use my studio mixer for distorting a few sounds but not all or for taking a sound in/out of a pattern on the fly or sending one to FX quickly for an overloaded reverb or delay sound. Definitely fun to jam on the R8 (yeah theyre HUGE!) alongside my other big drumbox - the Casio RZ-1 that adds some grit and tightness to the mix.

I love the R8mkII and I'm so glad I picked on up again, that was dumb of me to sell it years ago. I'll only get rid of it if I can score a Yamaha RS-7000 for a good deal. I prefer the RS's sequencer with its very user friendly step sequencing and quick change pattern ins and outs but I dunno wtf is up with RS7000 prices, Ive seen nice ones on ebay sell for anything between $350 (yay!) and $750 (no thanks!).

Your mbmatrixseq idea looks spot on, I cant wait for this stuff to be sorted out and ready to build!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”