OT: Who wants to build a 909?

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
altitude

Post by altitude »

AngryChef wrote:Thanks for the tip!

I think I am covered because the place I got them from had all the values in 7.5mm pitch (unlike larger distributors like Mouser and Digikey) ... Except for those weird little 33pF ones those are 5mm (I'll have to bend them just a little).

What did you use for your 9090? Are you finished?
I finished mine last summer

You can see i used a mix of AVX and Wima caps but there were several pitches used on the PCBs so you may want to look at whats what or you will have to bend leads. I also added a second noise source separate for the clap so you dont get that weird phasing issue when you fire the clap and snare at the same time (bottom pic)

NullSquare

Post by NullSquare »

Altitude - Awesome! Thanks for the pictures, I'll definitely consider doing that for this project.

Do you have any schematics for the noise circuit or did you make one from the 9090 schematics?

Should I be at all concerned with the voltages of the caps? A number of them are rather high (400V, 630V, etc.).

What knobs did you use? Those ones look great!

Sorry for all the questions! I am trying to get as much out of the way before I start assembly. I have a big ol' stack of PCBs (TM-116s, 9090, Z5000, etc.) and a growing pile of parts, so the more I can work out before hand (and as I mentioned, why I am working on the panel layout first) the easier that this going to come together.

subatomic - I totally hear you on that one. I almost lost it just trying to source the WIMA caps online (my roommate inquired as to why I was swearing and throwing things at one point) but then I found this little local distributor that has the full line of WIMA caps in all pitches. :-)

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

AngryChef wrote:Do you have any schematics for the noise circuit or did you make one from the 9090 schematics?
That circuit looks pretty simple, i may have to build one. :) good use of the aux power port too. :)

altitude

Post by altitude »

AngryChef wrote:Altitude - Awesome! Thanks for the pictures, I'll definitely consider doing that for this project.

Do you have any schematics for the noise circuit or did you make one from the 9090 schematics?
Yes:

I have the eagle files and layout also. There is a blurb about it with more pics in my rather anemic blog

http://blog.no-ho.com

Should I be at all concerned with the voltages of the caps? A number of them are rather high (400V, 630V, etc.).
No, thats the MOST they will handle. The 9090 will never come close to those numbers. The only ones you have to make sure are correctly rated are in the power supply. Most importantly, you want to look at the form factors of the part you are using, the higher the voltage rating at a given capacitance the bigger the part. A pF rate cap can have a very high voltage rating and still be tiny so you have to look at both things.
What knobs did you use? Those ones look great!
Cheapo plastic jobs from Mouser then hand painted.
Sorry for all the questions! I am trying to get as much out of the way before I start assembly. I have a big ol' stack of PCBs (TM-116s, 9090, Z5000, etc.) and a growing pile of parts, so the more I can work out before hand (and as I mentioned, why I am working on the panel layout first) the easier that this going to come together.
No worries, ask away, it will save you some grief.

altitude

Post by altitude »

subatomic wrote:
AngryChef wrote:Do you have any schematics for the noise circuit or did you make one from the 9090 schematics?
That circuit looks pretty simple, i may have to build one. :) good use of the aux power port too. :)
I have two undrilled boards left if your interested

GoldDope

Post by GoldDope »

I have to say ive been following this thread,and whilst its ace to have "the sound" available i honestly can not see the point in making this unit.,

If i wanted the 909 drum machine i want it to be a drum machine not a rack mount unit,if i was going to buy a rack mount unit there are tons of alternatives -
Why make a 909 kit when its not ?

altitude

Post by altitude »

GoldDope wrote:I have to say ive been following this thread,and whilst its ace to have "the sound" available i honestly can not see the point in making this unit.,

If i wanted the 909 drum machine i want it to be a drum machine not a rack mount unit,if i was going to buy a rack mount unit there are tons of alternatives -
cause it sounds exactly like a 909. I could care less about the sequencer, I just want the sounds. I am not sure what rack mounted analog drum modules you are referring to as alternatives

computer controlled

Post by computer controlled »

The Drum Station is pretty much 95% accurate. I had one for years and loved it =o] But in the end, nothing can sound as full as a real analogue drum sound =o]

GoldDope

Post by GoldDope »

Altitude wrote:
GoldDope wrote:I have to say ive been following this thread,and whilst its ace to have "the sound" available i honestly can not see the point in making this unit.,

cause it sounds exactly like a 909. I could care less about the sequencer, I just want the sounds. I am not sure what rack mounted analog drum modules you are referring to as alternatives
Im sure you know your music gear,and im sure you know that there are tons of sound source alternatives,
the whole point of a drum machine is that its a drum machine,
with the 9090 im pretty certain you cant just hook up a x0xb0x and off you go - a drum machine you can.

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

you can hook up a sequencer though... and people are working on an mbseq dedicated for in-box with the 9090... so the way you want will happen at some point, or it can happen now...

for example, i have an mamsq16... you can use other sequencers... etc.. (apparently not TR-7x7!)
altitude wrote:I have two undrilled boards left if your interested
I'm interested! lets talk, pm me :)
Last edited by subatomic on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazy owen

Post by crazy owen »

I had a drumstation and loved it but in the end I wanted a better sounding unit that had the polyphony of the original tr909, so that is the main reason I am building my 9090. being a sequencer-less unit is easily remedied by using a 707/727/electribe or any other midi drum box, whatever suits your taste, its such a minor issue really. I plan to make my 9090 more of a mr9090 with help from a midiSEQbox project though because I would prefer my 9090 to eventually be a table top drumbox right next to my mb808 :)

altitude man that unit looks AWESOME! great work on the design and whoa the knobs really came out amazing.

computer controlled

One i keep seeing here is using the 707/727 as a sequencer for this. YOU CAN'T! They don't spit out MIDI data while in pattern play mode. They don't work like the 505/626 do.

phono

Post by phono »

i use an electribe er-1 to drive my drumstation, add to that the xbase09 for kick/snare/hat duties and i've got the 909 nailed

crazy owen

Post by crazy owen »

Computer Controlled wrote:One i keep seeing here is using the 707/727 as a sequencer for this. YOU CAN'T! They don't spit out MIDI data while in pattern play mode. They don't work like the 505/626 do.
but you can play them thru MIDI, just not in pattern play, correct?

computer controlled

Not sure what you mean. With the 707/727, you can't use them as a sequencer to sequence other drum modules. They don't work that way, for some silly reason. With the 505/626, you CAN use them as killer sequencers for drum modules. As they spit out MIDI note data. You can change the MIDI channel for each sound the pads represent as well. The 626 is the better machine as it has per instrument accents (7 levels), shuffle and flam.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”