HowTo: Upload the x0xb0x firmware in OSX

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
RodmanSan

Re: HowTo: Upload the x0xb0x firmware in OSX

Post by RodmanSan »

Luap wrote:I think anyone that manages to successfully update their x0x firmware via OS X should win a free Adafruit mug or something :mrgreen:
When can i expect the mug...??? :lol:

From this topic : http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3975

I finally did it.... :mrgreen:

I am using a (old) Mac G4 MP with OS 10.4.11...and downloaded the following progs (tx for the hints Toxaco) :

Python 2.5.4 (Standard install.)
wxpython (Standard install.)
pyserial (Extract files from the archive, open a shell/console in that directory and type: "python setup.py install")
USB Serial Driver : FT232B 2.1.10 (Standard install.)
c0ntr0l for Mac (Just unzip)

After installing everything just be sure to restart the Mac once, then doubleclick c0ntr0l.py and follow the standard procedure to update the firmware of the x0xb0x.

leelinn

Post by leelinn »

i did it too ( mac os x 10.5.6 intel and only using control and USB serial driver).
Now, i have some problem with 10.6.1

@RodmanSan:

i tried to follow your "guide" for my powerbook 10.4.11 but there something i didn't uderstand:
what does it mean: "pyserial (Extract files from the archive, open a shell/console in that directory and type: "python setup.py install")"

i used terminal twice in my life. Can you say me how I open a shell in "that" directory? (sorry if this sounds stupid :roll: ).

RodmanSan

Post by RodmanSan »

leelinn wrote:@RodmanSan:

i tried to follow your "guide" for my powerbook 10.4.11 but there something i didn't uderstand:
what does it mean: "pyserial (Extract files from the archive, open a shell/console in that directory and type: "python setup.py install")"

i used terminal twice in my life. Can you say me how I open a shell in "that" directory? (sorry if this sounds stupid :roll: ).
First download pyserial...and open this archive in the dir. you want it to be in and extract all the files from it.

Then...(I try it from the top of my head)...but if i am correct you go from the application folder to the utilities...and there you have the terminal tool.
Start it up...and use unix commands to go to the directory you have pyserial saved in (cd xxx, where xxx is the directory name...you have to be in the root).

Then type the command i wrote before for install.

headphase

Post by headphase »

Hi there !

I tried today to upload a new firmware in my xoxbox, but i'm still turning around...
All the threads about this question were very helpfull, but it still not working on my box.

I'm on Mac OS 10.5.8
I followed the instructions done by Sokkan.
I have updated the driver (FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_14) : http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
I use c0ntr0l : http://x0xb0x.co.uk/Sokkan/files/c0ntr0l.app.dmg.zip
I turn off my xoxbox, plug the usb cable,turn the knob to bootload,power on the box, launch c0ntrol,click upload software.
the connection and the upload seem to work fine.
When the upload is done, c0ntrol disconnect the serial port, I disconnect the usb cable, and turn off the xoxbox.
When I power on my xox, it's not working anymore ! nothing happen ( sometimes some leds are on or blinking but nothing else)

I tried several times with different firmware : sokkos 1.3.1 to 1.9.1 and the "official" firmware 1.04 and 1.05.
It was working (not 100%) one time with the 1.03 , but I'm not able to do it anymore.

Anybody has an idee how to get the xoxbox working again?
Do I have to try with the JAvrProg?

Thanks !

(pardon my english!)

headphase

Post by headphase »

Hi there!
I finally touched the goal with an old PC under XP!

I installed manually the FTDIChip CDM Driver Package V. 2.06.00 = http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
and decompressed c0ntr0l_1_0-win.zip : http://sourceforge.net/projects/x0xb0x/ ... 0software/
I launched the file c0ntr0l.exe in a DOS page (C:WINDOWS/system32/cmd.exe).
[ an error occured because of a problem with the extension msvcr71.dll. I downloaded here = http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... ml?msvcr71 and put into C:WINDOWS/system32/ ]

As describre on http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/software/index.html :
1. Turn on your x0x while it is in Bootload mode. You can't switch to this mode once its turned on so make sure the function knob is right.
2. Plug in the USB cable into your PC
3. Use the Hardware/Device manager (control panel) to verify that a USB serial port has been found and know the COM port number.
4. Now double click on c0ntr0l.exe to start the c0ntr0l software
5. Under Serial->Port select the right COM port
6. Select x0xb0x->Upload firmware.
7. Find the firmware, press OK.
8. Now quit the software.
9. Restart the x0x in non-bootload mode (power-cycle).

My xoxbox is returning to life this afternoon !!!
with a SOKKOS 1.9.1 !!!
Waooo !!!

At the end I don't really know what is wrong with os 10.5 ?
May be it comes from the usb driver. ? ? ?

nanotec

Post by nanotec »

It works totally without the use of windows. I did it today only with the use Mac OS X 10.5

This is the way to go:

Launch the Terminal and download the c0ntr0l software as described here:

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/x0xb0x login (hit enter for password)

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/x0xb0x co -P c0ntr0l

download pySerial 2.4 (Google for it) and extract it, go into the created folder and type:

python setup.py install

Now change into the c0ntr0l folder and start the c0ntr0l application to upload the firmware :D

Connect your x0xb0x via USB, switch the Mode Button to Bootload and then power up your x0x

chage to the c0ntr0l folder and type

python c0ntr0l.py

The GUI should appear, in the Menu choose: Serial -> Port -> /dev/usbserial-??????

In the Menu: x0xbox -> upload Firmware; choose the file x0xb0x.hex (the actual firmwire you want to upload)

Power off your x0x, switch to any ohter mode, power it on again and enjoy the new firmware

brother-james

Post by brother-james »

I cannot find the osx c0ntr0l software anymore, anyone have the app?

tnx :)

antto

Post by antto »

just to let you know, there is an alternative app which runs on win32 and osx, see my signature :wink:

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande »

I downloaded Conbox and got it working. It required X11 Quartz lib to work, and I got confused by the splash screen.
Lesson learned RTFM.

fucs

Post by fucs »

Schermata 2014-09-13 a 14.12.17.png
Schermata 2014-09-13 a 14.12.17.png (24.88 KiB) Viewed 3842 times

i got the conbox but i can't upload my firmware ( i don't know what is my actual version, the diagnostic mode doesn't work fine, maybe the 1.5)
when i try to upload the firmware there is an error with the deviceID string (couldn't get deviceID string) and failed the upload.
any help here?

fucs

Post by fucs »

Schermata 2014-09-13 a 14.21.23.png
Schermata 2014-09-13 a 14.21.23.png (17.4 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
when i put my mode machine in a computer control and go to the diagnostic mode appears this error.
anyone can help me?
thanks in advance

antto

Post by antto »

don't use the Diagnostic mode, since it requires a special firmware which isn't available

also notice: "(auto) adafruit compliant FW v1.05"
this "auto" is very important, it means that the program doesn't really know what the firmware is
for most firmwares - it is impossible to tell what version they are since they did not have a mechanism to report that
BANNED introduces such a mechanism, and some new FWs use it, but most don't

so, if it says "(auto)" - it can be any firmware and any version

make sure you've set the x0xb0x in bootload mode (and switch it off/on)
then if you still get the "couldn't get deviceID string" error - then there's either problems with the communication, or with the bootloader
you could try and test whether you have a working bootloader or not

sacha

Post by sacha »

Hi Antto

When I got the x0xb0x, it came with firmware 1.05. After uploading the sokkos 2.0 firmware, power cycling the x0xb0x, and connecting to the x0xb0x, the deviceID still is "(auto) adafruit compliant FW v1.05". How can I tell that the upload and update was successful? Is there a way to verify that sokkos 2.0 is installed and running?

antto

Post by antto »

you can't know what firmware there is on a x0xb0x unless you can identify it yourself (by some specific feature or behaviour)

when you start uploading a firmware to the x0xb0x - the bootloader starts overwriting the firmware sector
- if something goes wrong (the process is interrupted or some error occurs) - you will likely end up with a corrupted firmware - the x0xb0x will not restart normally, but the bootloader should still work afterwards
- if the process runs smoothly - you will have a freshly (over)written firmware, restarting the x0xb0x should run the firmware nicely...

so basically, if after updating the firmware - the process runs smoothly, and then the x0xb0x firmware runs after the restart - you have updated the firmware successifully

when i wrote BANNED, i added extended messages to the serial protocol, to make it possible for the app to "ask" the firmware "what firmware are you, and what is your version" - MSG_FW_VER
then, any firmware dev could add support for this in his firmware, and you will then be able to really tell what firmware you're running on the x0x by just connecting with BANNED

but that happened.. in 2012 or something.. that was too late for most firmwares
it can be added into the stock firmware - but what's the point?
it can't be added to sokkos, because there's no space left and sokkan would have to remove something else

MSG_FW_VER is supported in my firmware... yeah... oh well

to sum it up:
if BANNED says "(auto) ...." then it's autodetected/guessed ... the firmware itself didn't identify itself, so ignore what BANNED says about firmware name and version
if you aren't sure what firmware you actually have on your x0x - you could just upload one and then you'll know (of course, if you sell that x0x to another person - he won't know, unless you tell him... you get the point)

sacha

Post by sacha »

Hi Antto,

Thank you very much for your quick response, that makes a lot of sense!

Best,
Sacha

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”