Fermentation Thermostat Project

by ruprect on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Good afternoon all. I wanted to show you guys my project and possibly get some feedback. I home brew beer and, during the (Texas) summer, I have a problem keeping my house at a temperature that is within the ideal conditions required for the yeast to thrive during the fermentation process. So a common solution to this is to create a fermentation chamber to allow your beer to ferment in a controlled environment. Many people use a chest freezer with an additional thermostat for this. There are a couple non-programmable thermostats available that work very well.

However, when brewing a lager-type beer, a more complex temperature profile is required for ideal fermenting conditions. For instance, a typical lager fermentation could be: Lower the temperature from 76 to 52 degrees over a period of 24 hours, hold temp at 52 for 10 days. Slowly raise temperature to 68 degrees over a period of 24-48 hours, then lower the temp to 34 degrees over a period of 48 hours and then keep it at 34 for 6 weeks.

This sequence of temperature is a lot of work and dedication (especially for someone with as short of an attention span as myself) for a manual thermostat. So I have created a programmable thermostat to control my fermentation chamber. I created it with a PIC18F microcontroller, a TMP36 temperature reading IC, and a relay. I created a user interface with the help of a 16x2 character LCD and an up/down/select keypad arrangement.

I have a 'Default Lager' program built into the thermostat (not surprisingly, very similar to the one described above), but I also added a function to be able to create your own temperature profile or edit a currently saved one.
I have added functionality for the user to navigate through the program to any stage/time the user wants.

Here’s a picture of what it looks like:

thermostat-015_nolabel_resize.jpg
thermostat-015_nolabel_resize.jpg (20.73 KiB) Viewed 1442 times

I’ve just finished up with this, I am currently testing it out and working out a few little bugs here and there, but I hope to be able to put this to work very soon. Being able to brew lager-type beers opens up a whole new set of beer recipes to brew (and drink! :))

I have updated some blog posts throughout the development process. Check it out here if you like: http://ohmbrew.blogspot.com
ruprect

Re: Fermentation Thermostat Project

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:15 pm

ruprect wrote:I have a 'Default Lager' program built into the thermostat

That sequence of words earns you massive geek points. ;-)
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike

by wfm on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:39 am

Very cool. Ohm Brew is also a great name.
wfm

by adafruit on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:24 am

nicely done, please email support@adafruit.com - we'd like to send you this badge :)

brewing.jpg
brewing.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

http://www.adafruit.com/products/511

cheers!
adafruit support, phil
adafruit

by ruprect on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:09 pm

I certainly will! Thanks so much!

Thanks for the comments as well!
ruprect