upcoming photo tutorial

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
george_graves

Re: upcoming photo tutorial

Post by george_graves »

I just got back from the store playing with the Nikon D40. I was able to resist the temptation this time - but this will not end well for me, I can already tell.

johngineer

Post by johngineer »

george graves wrote:I just got back from the store playing with the Nikon D40. I was able to resist the temptation this time - but this will not end well for me, I can already tell.
They still make that thing? I thought they replaced it with the D3000/5000.

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

No clue. But I was surprised at what a crappy lens it came with. You could just fell it's all plastic. I could have twisted it to death with my hands easily.

CressWrnch44

Post by CressWrnch44 »

johngineer wrote:
itstemo1 wrote:How to do your tutorial with a CHEAP camera (4mp and only digital zoom).

Also how to remove the UGLY orange glow that i get from light bulbs.
I'm guessing those are things you'd like to see in the tutorial?

Well, I'm going to be using a 10-year-old camera with 3 megapixels and SmartMedia storage. I sincerely hope that's crappy enough for you. :)
That is crappy enough for me. I am so HAPPY ABOUT reading this tutorial

johngineer

Post by johngineer »

george graves wrote:No clue. But I was surprised at what a crappy lens it came with. You could just fell it's all plastic. I could have twisted it to death with my hands easily.
Heh. The same goes for the camera. I remember back when I was selling cameras and the D40 came out. I picked it up thinking it was going to be a lot heftier than it was and it almost flew out of my hand.

I'm thinking the D5000 might be more up your alley. 24 fps 720p video with lots of great (interchangeable) glass to choose from, for about 1/8th the price XL-H1a. And it won't give your shoulder a cramp :)
itstemo1 wrote: That is crappy enough for me. I am so HAPPY ABOUT reading this tutorial
Thanks!

sirket

Post by sirket »

george graves wrote:I just got back from the store playing with the Nikon D40. I was able to resist the temptation this time - but this will not end well for me, I can already tell.
Sheesh no Canon love? Shooting a 5DMkii here! :)

johngineer

Post by johngineer »

sirket wrote: Sheesh no Canon love? Shooting a 5DMkii here! :)
Where's the Large Format love? ;)

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

johngineer wrote:I'm thinking the D5000 might be more up your alley. 24 fps 720p video with lots of great (interchangeable) glass to choose from, for about 1/8th the price XL-H1a. And it won't give your shoulder a cramp :)
I still have a lot of research to do - I assumed the D90 was the flagship model, and the d40 was a step down. Is the D5000 more a pro-sumer camera? And yea, I can already tell I'm a Nikon guy...Isn't that funny how you gravitate to one design or the other? Odd.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Where's the Large Format love?
Linhof Kardan 45 :D Unfortunately, it doesn't see enough use these days to justify springing for a digital back.

Entropy

Post by Entropy »

george graves wrote:
johngineer wrote:I'm thinking the D5000 might be more up your alley. 24 fps 720p video with lots of great (interchangeable) glass to choose from, for about 1/8th the price XL-H1a. And it won't give your shoulder a cramp :)
I still have a lot of research to do - I assumed the D90 was the flagship model, and the d40 was a step down. Is the D5000 more a pro-sumer camera? And yea, I can already tell I'm a Nikon guy...Isn't that funny how you gravitate to one design or the other? Odd.
The Dx0 models (D90 for example) tend to be the mid-low-range "prosumer" models. These used to be Nikon's lowest end. The D40 is OLD.
The Dx00 models tend to be the mid-high-range "prosumer" models, such as the D300/D700.
The Dx models are the flagships, such as the D3 and D3x
The new Dx000 models are the "low-end consumer" models, however, these are all newer than the D40 and better in most cases.

The top 3 entry-level DSLRs these days would be:
Nikon D3000
Canon Rebel (forget which model)
Pentax K-x
All of these have kits (body + basic lens) available for just over $500.

The basic kit lenses of these might not be the best for shots of small products. However, the Tamron 70-300 zoom is less than $150 and provides excellent bang for the buck. It has long reach, very close focus, and is quite sharp. Its biggest problem is purple fringing in high contrast, but when using a light tent you will be keeping contrast pretty well controlled.

http://andydodd.smugmug.com/Other/Strob ... 6044_pZhwN - This was done using the above mentioned lens, however without a proper light tent, just an umbrella and some styrofoam reflectors.

johngineer

Post by johngineer »

arduwino wrote:
Where's the Large Format love?
Linhof Kardan 45 :D Unfortunately, it doesn't see enough use these days to justify springing for a digital back.
High five, Bill!

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

John - are any of the entry level DSLR's able to show you a image of what you just shot on a laptop screen right after you snapped the image? I would find it endlessly useful if I could get a camera that would like me know when I've captured the shot on a larger screen. Rather than uploading the image to the PC and then seeing if I've gotten exposure/focus, going back, trying again, ect... What is this feature called anyways?

Entropy

Post by Entropy »

george graves wrote:John - are any of the entry level DSLR's able to show you a image of what you just shot on a laptop screen right after you snapped the image? I would find it endlessly useful if I could get a camera that would like me know when I've captured the shot on a larger screen. Rather than uploading the image to the PC and then seeing if I've gotten exposure/focus, going back, trying again, ect... What is this feature called anyways?
Tethered shooting.

I know my Pentax K10D and K20D support tethering, not sure about the K-x and low-end Canons/Nikons.

len17

Post by len17 »

george graves wrote:John - are any of the entry level DSLR's able to show you a image of what you just shot on a laptop screen right after you snapped the image?
The Canon Rebel models support this.

pm6041141

Post by pm6041141 »

I am most interested in hardware. What camera to buy etc.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”