Ambitious Project for a Newbie - Feasibility Questions

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tdraucker

Ambitious Project for a Newbie - Feasibility Questions

Post by tdraucker »

Hello All,

The Arduino happens to be the first PIC I've played with and my first real programming experience. I've had lots of fun learning servo control, sensor reading, etc. and now I have a truly practical need for some of these functions.

Here's the scenario:
I've started a mobile pressure washing business and have built quite a nice rig. I carry up to 500 gallon's of water for remote service, a 450,000 btu kerosene boiler that handles the 4 gallons per/min at 4000 psi which can bring the water temp close to 200 F.

The idea:
Stage 1: Sensor's and Logging
storage tank water temp
outgoing water temp
pressure switch status (open/closed)
etc.
Logging of all sensor data

Stage 2: Remote monitoring and activation
Hand-held remote with LCD (display of sensor data)
Switch function (Boiler on/off, Pump on/off, Emergency Off! etc)

Okay, you get the idea I think.

Individually, I'm sure I can handle sensor reading, logging etc. I've never even questioned what the limitations of practicality are with the Ardunio.

Down to the nitty-gritty, is the Ardunio suitable for a setup like this and provided stable code, is the system reliable enough to be used in an industrial environment?

Thanks to all!

richms

Re: Ambitious Project for a Newbie - Feasibility Questions

Post by richms »

Not really, being on a truck etc you will want more permanant wiring, so the boarduino soldered into something would be a better bet, as otherwise wires will come out etc.

For the wireless data there are many options, but the xbee is the easiest by a long way.

The arduino is best used for prototyping and experimenting. Wires stuck into headers is never going to stay put, even with hot glue you will have intermittent connections with vibration etc.

chatham

Post by chatham »

Richms is right; you'll want a different flavor of the Arduino in order to not have issues with loose connections. On the other hand, the circuitry and chip itself will be plenty robust/stable for what you're doing. There are a bunch of great tools and examples with Arduino that should make talking to your sensors, logging data, and transmitting things super-easy, and those tools are likely going to be just as robust as anything you'd get for any other platform.

Depending on how your setup works, you may have a few issues with electromagnetic interference - if your pump is electric, it's going to give off all sorts of EMI - but that's an issue you'd have with any setup, not the Arduino specifically. Just something to watch out for when you start building. When you're trying to talk to your sensors, you might have to shield your wires to them and other odds and ends.

Good luck!

tdraucker

Post by tdraucker »

Thanks for the encouraging comments! I'll be sure to post progress as this comes together over the winter months.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”