Get 12% off, TODAY ONLY 12/12 – use the code TWELVE on check out! Some restrictions apply!

How to silence an EL Wire AC Inverter?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Re: How to silence an EL Wire AC Inverter?

by W9TIM on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:08 pm

I noticed that the IOS flowing wire EL enhanced USB adapter is silent! in contrast to the other inverters. - is it just the low power draw that keeps it quiet or does this product have a secret to keeping it from squealing?
W9TIM

by strawberry on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:09 pm

anyone having any luck? I have an EL Wire from GloFX ( http://officialglofx.com/everything-led/el-wire/ ). Its the sound activated one, and the buzz isn't terrible but you can hear it. I am planning to try using some cooling cloth with tape around it.
strawberry

by firedingo on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:03 am

what about using a sound deadening material like dynamat?

firedingo

by firedingo on Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:16 pm

what about running a piezo and sound board to play the same "note" in reverse polarity to cancel out the sound? any thoughts?

firedingo

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:05 am

The noise emitters in the EL inverter are the wires in the transformer (it doesn't matter how tightly you wrap them, there's always a little room for them to move) and a minor piezoelectric effect in any ceramic capacitors used in the circuit.

Active cancellation (playing the same sound 180 degrees out of phase) is theoretically possible, but the phasing is critical. If you get it wrong, you double the noise rather than cancelling it.

The easiest solution is just to put the inverter into something that mutes sound, like a neoprene cover.
adafruit_support_mike