Help with Zizzle Zoundz - no sound output

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Threemoons

Re: Help with Zizzle Zoundz - no sound output

Post by Threemoons »

Fantastic! Thanks so much!

loislayne

Post by loislayne »

Thanks all you Zizzelites. ...I adore my zoundz...and have one piece that's not working and will be following the posted advice. Does anyone know why this company stopped producing. ..or if you know the names of the original designers? Just curious....

Zoundz on people!

stieg003

Post by stieg003 »

Thanks to all -- the scraping of the contacts was easy and fixed all my pieces. And the corrected link allowed me to find the unit's manual and figure out how to "program" the clear cube piece. Kind of everyone to offer their help.

kimiata90

Post by kimiata90 »

So excited to find this forum! Several of my "sculptures" have stopped working, and I can't wait to pry off the bottoms and carefully scrape away. But I wanted to say that in an effort to make my mute pieces work, I tried laying them on their sides on the board and I found out that some of them work like that, or even upside down! I was nice hearing a couple that I hadn't heard in years. I had forgotten how pretty the one that looks like a little lamb sounds -- it was the first one to go so many years ago. Good luck to you all!

agreenthing

Post by agreenthing »

Thanks for the pointer about cleaning up the boards. I had a few pieces that didn't work, scraping fixed one and left another working only when held on one side. I didn't like the idea of scraping more so tried soap (applied with a slightly soggy cocktail stick) and water - success! Made sure they were nice and dry and now the full set are working good as new.

leevanj

Post by leevanj »

Ah fabulous zoundz .. cleaning the contacts got one of the pieces working, two others not yet - they might have corroded too far ... or I might have been a little too vigorous... there was a black gloop covering the contacts, slightly waxy, not sure if that was the corrosion we are trying to remove or not... but thankyou for the pointer and everyone enjoy their zoundz, hope one day someone remakes this device... it is amazing!

KKallen

Post by KKallen »

Oh my gosh, this is great! Thank you so much, everyone. Five of our seven pieces no longer worked but I couldn't bring myself to toss it all these years...they all work now! The recording cube is a little wonky...it repeats its recording very frequently, no pause in between, unless you put other pieces on the board, and then it stutters it out relatively infrequently. Anyone else have this issue?
Thanks

rachowl

Post by rachowl »

I'm so happy to come across this thread too after so many years!
I managed to track down and buy this toy 2nd hand and shipped from America on Ebay or Amazon for my boyfriend years ago after he had a go on a friends one and loved it.
The clear recording cube piece never worked tough and slowly through the next few years, 2 other pieces stopped working too.
We have just cleaned the corrosion/tarnish off of the contacts and managed to get all the pieces working!! .....apart from the recording cube which is exactly the same as the red bass piece!!! I think I was duped by the second hand seller years ago who switched the chips around with their own pieces! Gutted!

Anybody know of anyone anywhere selling an intact clear cube recording piece? My boyfriend and I are desperate to have the whole toy working once and for all as it it a prized possession and has sentimental value too....

Thanks so much for posting the info and instruction manual too btw as never got one with ours :)

leevanj

Post by leevanj »

Makes me smile that us people are determined enough to find this thread! I'm still to fix a couple of pieces, but I suspect the resistor has gone wrong or the circuit broken. THis may be the case with your spare piece, I think these things work by magnetism, so a loss of power in one bit of the circuit may cause it to be picked up as the wrong piece or not at all.
Gonna need an electronic expert for guidance me thinks!

Enjoy the sounds we do have!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”