Parts needed for LED strips

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hotchkip

Parts needed for LED strips

Post by hotchkip »

I am going to be using around 8 meters of strip for a project. I need the power source to be portable if possible, and only need the strips to stay one consistant color. I was looking through the strips and the RGB LED strips is what I think im going to go with. Im just not sure of what my powering options are. And you can probably tell, but I am very new to this, so dont be to harsh :mrgreen:

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Parts needed for LED strips

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

How portable do you need it? How long does it need to run?

If you want to be able to drive all LEDs at full brightness (white), you will need close to 10Amps @5v for 5 meters. Full brightness Red, Blue or Green would be about 1/3 that.
You should be able to run it directly off a 4.8v NiMH pack. These come in many capacities rated in milli-amp-hours (mAh). For operation at full brightness, plan on 1000 mAh for every 6 minutes.

hotchkip

Post by hotchkip »

it would need to be portable enough to carry around, run for a few hours at least. It wouldnt be just white, probably blue or red fully.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

So, figuring on 1/3 of full power as an average, you would need about 3.3 amps @~5v.

Something like this would give you about 4 hours: http://www.all-battery.com/Tenergy4.8V_ ... 11011.aspx

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”