POV RGB LED Strip

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Longshot

POV RGB LED Strip

Post by Longshot »

Hi all,

I'd like to build a led strip similar to the one in the video link below but I think I might be a bit over my head.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/txross/427 ... 4495736989

I have some basic electrical knowledge and soldering skills but have no experience with Arduino and programming. With that said, I'm looking for a little guidance to get me headed in the right direction and to avoid costly mistakes.

I'd like the final product to have a GUI like the excel example above. I've seen another example were a photoshop template was used as a GUI to output code. I'd also like to be able to control and program for different length strips. In some cases I may use 60+ leds while in others only need 12. Inevitably I'd like to make a short wand and a long wand. It needs to be portable, durable and battery powered. The ability to start, stop and loop patterns in field with a button press would be a must. It is also important that the speed of pixel change can be controlled so the wand can be moved at different speeds with the same effect. It would be great if the controller could store multiple patterns with the ability to start\stop on the last used pattern and switch between them on the fly. Lastly, in this situation I think analog (current regulation) control might be better then PWM. In long exposure photography the camera can easily pick up the pulse that your eye misses.

There are a few products on this sight that are close to what I'm looking for. The MiniPOV's and SpokePOV are only 1 color. The Digital programmable LED belt kit looks promising but I'm unsure if it's able to accomplish what I need. I also have no idea how to set up some sort of GUI for it.

Anyway, any help I can get on this project is really appreciated. At this point it seems to be a bit beyond me.
Last edited by Longshot on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: POV RGB LED Strip

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you search the forums, someone posted an excellent RGB spokePOV a few months ago.

Longshot

Post by Longshot »

I have seen that post and I think it's quite close to what I'm looking for. A few problems I see are that the GUI and programing is set up for a wheel. It only lets you program so many frames to fill the space of the wheel. I assume the frame speed or each pattern is is determined by a magnetic sensor like the regular SpokePOV. It's also set up to program for 16 lights.

I'd like the ability to program for up to 60 lights using an addressable RGB LED strip. The frame speed needs to be manually adjustable (button press in field) as this will be set up as a light wand/sword and magnets won't be an option. I'd like to be able to program more frames per pattern then the space of a bike wheel allows. This light wand/sword will be hand held and sometimes used horizontally, banned style, like in the video above. I need more frames for long text filled banners.

itcamefrommars

Post by itcamefrommars »

I personally think that a project like this can be a great project to jump into for those interested in getting into arduino/microP.
I suppose it depends on the person. Speaking for myself - I get into new hobbies or genres of technology just like that.

I think it's great to have a semi-complex project that you REALLY want to do - you will find a way with that mindset and learn ALOT the more natural way by inspiration and drive!

With forums like these and on arduino.cc - it's hard to feel lost and left behind. Keep posting and asking. Only don't post if you aren't dedicated to check back and hope for answers! Sometimes a new forum member with only 1 or 2 posts asks and never checks back.
Kind of a bummer for the responders.

So, where to start ?

I'd recommend adafruit's POV kits (I do not work for adafruit nor am I receiving any commission ;) )
I build artbikes in new orleans and have used quite a few spokePOV's - they were what actually got me into OSHW back in 2006.
and my daughter has even built them when she was 7(she got the soldering patch! wish those where back) - and has seen how they work conceptually via high speed filming (slo mo).

You could rebuild it from scratch (this is the magic of open source!) and make modifications to move towards you final desired outcome!
Good ideas evolve also this way - always for the better I find. Bring in the TLC5940's.

Cheers - just hoping to help propel motivations and inspirations!
- mars

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”