New here, just wanted to share...

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
VE3GZB

New here, just wanted to share...

Post by VE3GZB »

Hello from Canada

I caught an interview with a young lady on CBC today at work, her name is Limor Freid (sp?). She seemed to be very enthusiastic and energetic.

I work in electronics. I'm an electronics engineering technician, an amateur Luthier, musician and amateur radio operator (Advanced with honours, callsign VE3GZB, can be viewed on qrz.com).

I've been in electronics for my bread and butter for 25 years so far. I've worked in the food packaging industry, in Military and Industrial electronics repairs, General repairs, Stage and Studio moving lights industry, I've worked at the capacitor manufacturer "Sprague" in their electronics maintenance department and I currently work in RFID.

I wanted to share my POV with younger folks just getting into electronics today.

When I was a kid, I'd bike around and salvage vacuum tubes out of TVs and radios, then haul the parts home and build something wit them from scratch. Been doing electronics since I was 6 years old, started toying with light bulbs, motors, batteries, speakers, moved up slowly and by the time I got to high school electronics and music were my top graded subjects. Even got to repair the music amplifiers in music class if they broke down, also did repairs for other teachers in the school for extra marks.

When you do electronics for a living, there's an aspect of the job which will just suck the soul right out of you. That aspect is employers knowing that electronics folks do what they do for the art and love of it, so it's very common for employers to not only pay grossly subnormal wages for the amount of education and skill you have, but to also take your ideas and claim them as their own, to even patent them and leave you out of the process.

You'll never get rich doing electronics for a living. If you do decide, when you choose a career path in life, to pursue electronics for a living, be prepared to work for greedy parasites who will offer you poor pay and/or long hours, be prepared for abusive managers/bosses who will do everything they can in their power to keep your genius under their thumb.

Looking back on my career now, if someone told me these things which I am telling you now, and were able to honestly convince me, then I would not have chosen electronics as a career path, especially in the day (now) of disposable technology.

Electronics is a wonderful interest and a fantastic hobby. But to earn a living at it? You're better off putting wheels on SUVs in an assembly line. At least you'll have a good wage with health benefits for you and your children.

I admire the spirit and energy I heard in the voice of Miss Limor Freid. I remember feeling like that once upon a time. I hope you young people keep a good spirit about you and maintain it.

73s, geo VE3GZB

philba

Re: New here, just wanted to share...

Post by philba »

Yeah, I think it's great that Limor (sorry, can't call her Miss for some reason) brings a lot to the game. Most importantly as a role model for other women. We (as an industry) really are doing a shitty job of getting women into EE and CS. But also, she's making great contributions. Wish I could find a GF like her...

On you soul sucking point. Not every company is like that. I am probably close to you in age, did all that scrounging stuff as a kid and have worked for just a few companies - several of them very large, you know their names. Not only is my soul unsucked but I received very significant compensation for my efforts. Yes, I did have to sell my patents for a dollar but then I got stock options up the a.. and they were actually worth something.

By the way, if you can prove that you were an inventor on something that was patented and your name isn't on it, you have a huge case! The company could lose the patent if they failed to name ALL inventors. Get a lawyer and stick it to them.

A funny story about patents. They make you sign away your rights and in order for it to be a valid contract, you have to receive some compensation. So, the contract says "for the sum of one dollar, blah blah blah". I would give the patent guy good natured grief when I saw him - "Hey, where's my damn dollar???". He was kind of a straight arrow humorless type. So they decided to make a lucite plaque with an SBA dollar in it. It became the coporate award for getting a patent issued. Kind of razzing me back but it was a good idea. Anyway, next time I saw him, he said "Hey did you get your dollar" and I said with a totally straight face "Yeah, but it was really hard getting that plastic off of it". His face fell - it was priceless. I did buy the guy a beer and we're friends to this day.

VE3GZB

Post by VE3GZB »

Out of the numerous companies I've worked at in my 25 year career, so far I'd estimate only 2 companies had the potential to "not suck the life out of you" - and in the end both of these "good" companies ended up discharging all of their technical staff to follow the herd of lemmings and "BANNED" to China most unsuccessfully.

I'm glad someone found good, respectable and humane companies to work at, but my feeling is that if I can save some young person from the amount of rubbish that one can endure with just a simple warning, then my time spent writing will be well spent. Especially these days when designed obsolescence and disposable technology makes your hard work meaningless.

As far as fighting patents, lawyers are not free and litigation can stretch out for many years and cost many many thousands of dollars, bankrupting you and your family. It's just not worth it when the industry is so populated with corrupt and greedy people who have substantial resources and connections.

easternstargeek

Post by easternstargeek »

Dear Friend:

My background is a lot like yours, but unlike you, I cannot really claim to have had much of the soul-sucking experiences you have. I am truly sorry that has been your experience with what can be a wonderful profession.

I have been doing electronics since I was a young child, and like any other artist, I do it because I have to. You see, there's all this stuff coming out of my head constantly, and if it didn't have an outlet... well, it wouldn't be pretty. My electronics designs and software are very much my art, and if I wasn't a professional, I'd still be an amateur. Right now, I get to be both!

I am also very blessed to be working at a great job at a great company. I was lucky enough to find a position that was a perfect fit for me, and I have been at it for almost 20 years. The ones I had before that were a mix of experiences, but all helped me to get where I am now- but it did require some personal work to get there.

We all have to take responsibility for our own careers and life- which is too short to waste working at a crappy job. If you don't like what you are doing, go and find something else to do. If nobody is offering anything, make it up yourself and go do it.

I think a lot of the younger people get that, and I am encouraged by their creativity and energy.

If you are sad about how your career turned out, please consider visiting these pages frequently so you can lend a hand to a newbie trying to solve a problem that might well be old-hat to you. I bet you will have much to contribute, technically. Even though I am an old fossil, by comparison to most makers these days, I nonetheless feel valued for my experience and contributions, and besides, nothing feels better than helping others. It's what makes us a community.

I gladly pass the torch in gratitude to all those who came before me to lend a hand when I needed it.

Hope to see you here more often. Thanks for sharing!

philba

Post by philba »

EasternStarGeek wrote:...
We all have to take responsibility for our own careers and life- which is too short to waste working at a crappy job. If you don't like what you are doing, go and find something else to do. If nobody is offering anything, make it up yourself and go do it.
sage words.

VE3GZB

Post by VE3GZB »

My employer I've had for 5 years has announced layoffs.

Combine this with the fact that I have to care for my disabled wife who cannot work....I'd have been better off getting in at GM or Ford on their assembly line, being a Union monkey for $35/hour plus benefits.

Yea.....electronics is a good way to make a living. Keep believing the lie.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”