Building a chicken incubator!

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jigsawnz

Re: Building a chicken incubator!

Post by jigsawnz »

I'm no expert but as far as I know it is more about air circulation then ventilation. The small commercial incubator I have has a fan inside the box for airflow but the box is closed. I currently don't have egg turning in my own incubator but i might use the tray from the commercial one or try and 3d print something when my printer arrives.

komer

Post by komer »

hi Guys,i Noticed This Topic Now And Iam Interested In This,since I Breed Quails And Pheasants.
I Have 2 Industrial Incubator With 1440 Quail Egg/each Capacity.and Have 2 But Without Thermostats.my Friend Build Me Pic Based Thermostat, Using Sht75 Senso For Humidity And Temp,have A Heating Control Over triac,and 2 Relays Output For Humudity Control And Egg Turning Motor. Egg Turning Has 2 Option,first Is How Long Motor Stays Turned On,and Second Is When It Turn On,every Xxx Min! And Have 2x16 Lcd!
I Would Like To Try Do Thermostat On Arduino,so I Would Be Happy If Someone share Code And Schematics Since I Have Arduino At Home And 3,2" Lcd Tft And Would Like To Use It In This Project!

Is Anybody Thinking Of Using Servo Motors For Rc cars,they Are Strong Enough And Not Expencive,or Some Of You Have Cheap Alternative For Egg Turning?
Will Track This Topic And I Will Try To Help For Making Thermostat With features Like Egg Turning And Humidifing!

mthompso

Post by mthompso »

Has anyone thought of using an old hair dryer element? I would think it could be controlled with a pwm voltage. I've seen some greenhouses use a mister for humidity, but that would entail hooking to a pressured water supply.

Just a couple of thoughts.

gregarious2

Post by gregarious2 »

I'd consider just adding another heating mat. It's less likely to add far too much heat in the case of a system fault.

jigsawnz

Post by jigsawnz »

Hello,

The teensy 3.1 is probably a good choice. It has 64K of RAM and 256K of Flash. Depending on your existing code hopefully you don't have to change it to much to make it compatible.

Cheers,

George

garryb

Post by garryb »

A heat source that worked in my incubator was a "Coffee cup warmer" A 120V mini hot plate device with a built in "high
limit" for safety. I bolted it to the foam lid of my box. Since heat rises the lower part of box warms a little more slowly.

Warmer element of a coffee maker would work for a larger box.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”