Automatic Wire Stripper suggestions?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chuckz

Automatic Wire Stripper suggestions?

Post by chuckz »

My dad worked at General Electric and he use to get automatic wire strippers from their store. I should probably ask him what brand he used back then. I was wondering if someone could recommend a good pair. I looked online and saw something like this but I don't know if they are any good or not:

http://www.bettymills.com/shop/product/ ... 4AodzVsASg

I guess I want one that can strip insulation from several *different* wire sizes that would be used in basic breadboarding type kits and microcontrollers. I know there are different sizes of wire so this wire stripper in the link may or may not be the one I want.

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, please leave feedback.

Thank you very very much.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Automatic Wire Stripper suggestions?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Those are definitely cool. They're even fun to just play with!
Note that you can't strip really short sections of insulation in "automatic" mode - that's because the lever that grips the wire is somewhere around 3/16' away from the jaws.

lyndon

Re: Automatic Wire Stripper suggestions?

Post by lyndon »

Both Klein and Ideal make strippers like that and you can buy them at Home Depot. The only concern is that the HD ones aren't rated to strip smaller than 22AWG, although I have used them on 24 & 26 gauge wire.

If you aren't stripping hundreds of ends, then the ones that look like scissors will go smaller than 22AWG and are half the price. I have at one time or another owned all three and they're fine, although the automatic ones are much faster if you have a lot of wires to strip.

[edit]
The crimp connectors I use require a strip length of less than 0.125" (1/8") and they all handled this just fine.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”