BMP085 Network Project

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mkat

BMP085 Network Project

Post by mkat »

Hi there,

I want to create a surface network of BMP085 micro-barometers to measure oscillations in atmospheric boundary layer pressure due to temperature differences. The network will cover an area approximately 1 km x 1 km. In total there will be around 20 micro-barometer sensors and I want to use the raspberry pi to log at 1 or 2 Hz sampling rate. The only problem is that I do not want to buy 20 Raspberrys, 1 for each station, and would like ultimately to communicate with more than one sensor (maybe up to 4 or 5) from one microprocessor. My questions are the following:
1) Can the Raspberry Pi handle logging more than one BMP085 pressure sensor?
2) What best configuration in terms of distances from the sensors to Rasberry Pi should I consider (50, 100, 200 m) without delaying the signal too much?
3) Where can I get information on how to do this project?

Thanks alot!
Cheers,
Marwan

adafruit_support_bill

Re: BMP085 Network Project

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

One Pi should be able to handle logging of all the sensors. The question is how to get the data there. The I2C bus is not really designed for long distances - although it can be made to work if you slow down the clock enough.

NXP does make I2C line buffers and repeaters. But I think the best solution for your application might be wireless. You might find this link to be helpful: http://forums.digi.com/support/forum/vi ... hread,8759

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”