USB/DC/Solar charger question

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bridges_pdp

USB/DC/Solar charger question

Post by bridges_pdp »

I think I've been through the USB/DC/Charger tutorial about three times over the course of the summer. Somewhere I thought I saw that it was okay to wire the battery directly to the charger on the pads near the LEDs. We'll be using the charger for a class project and I'm sourcing the LiPo packs from china. If the packs come with JST connectors that's fine, but if they come with just the wire leads I'm expecting to just have the students solder them.

Can anyone offer a hint of clarity or confirmation to me concerning the pads or where I might have read about connecting the battery directly?

Thanks,

Scott
PdP, Haiti

adafruit_support_bill

Re: USB/DC/Solar charger question

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I thought I saw that it was okay to wire the battery directly to the charger on the pads near the LEDs.
I assume you are talking about the pads between the JST connectors. These pads are wired in parallel to the JST connectors, and can be used for batteries with wire leads.

(View from back of board)
I'm sourcing the LiPo packs from china.
We recommend that you get packs with built-in protection circuits to protect against discharge beyond the safe minimum voltage. The charger will protect the cells from over-charging. But it can't protect them from discharging below safe levels.

bridges_pdp

Re: USB/DC/Solar charger question

Post by bridges_pdp »

Thank you. That was exactly what I needed. The packs I have spec'ed have a PCB for overcharge/discharge(4.28v/3.0v) protection inside the wrap.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”