Raspberry Pi Gameboy: Item List

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Devinw

Raspberry Pi Gameboy: Item List

Post by Devinw »

Hello I am a senior in High School and i'm going to be doing my senior project. I plan on making and finishing the Raspiboy or Gamepi, which the two original creators called it. I've contacted both developers and they both gave me a little help, but also said they were to bussy to help in depth. I plan on making the arrow pad move the mouse cursor, and the A and B buttons click.

What im asking is what things would i need to make this? I'm not the most experienced is my problem so i dont know what alot of things are called and such.
I know i need:

RaspberryPi
Gameboy Case
Micro SD card adapter
Battery

That is all i really know specifically as of right now, Could anyone list some stuff like tools, ideas to hold the case and things together, what i can do to make the mouse cursor move with the arrow pad, and buttons work.

This is the most important thing i will be doing this year, if i do not do well on this project, i do not graduate highschool.

Devinw

Re: Raspberry Pi Gameboy: Item List

Post by Devinw »

Still looking for help

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'm not familiar with the two projects you mention. It sounds like you are new to the Raspberry Pi. Perhaps the best place to start is by working through some of the many Raspberry Pi tutorials here and elsewhere on the web. That should give you a better idea of how to interface things to the Pi.

thefatmoop

Post by thefatmoop »

sounds like a fun project! So you need the pi to boot into some kind of menu and when you select an item it puts something into the terminal that launches the right emulator with game selected (although i have no idea on this, it shouldn't be that hard). Then you need everything controlled via GPIO where the gpio acts as keyboard or joystick events. You could also use a teensy2.0 to act as a usb keyboard or gamepad, but that shouldn't be necessary.

http://blog.thestateofme.com/2012/08/10 ... -joystick/
then output everything to
https://www.adafruit.com/products/913
and you'll need a 5v switching regulator to drop the battery down to the right voltage
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1065
and optionally replace the 3.3 onboard regulator with adafruit's switching regulator to save some battery.

(I'd prefer just using my smart phone)

Devinw

Post by Devinw »

Thank you so much for your replies, Moop thats a great idea, thats actually what im going to do now (the whole emulator game selection) and ive been wondering what i could use to work as the up/down/left/right and A/B functions! I will check out all your links after school, thanks again!

Devinw

Post by Devinw »

Do you know of any cheaper screens? the quality of the video isnt too important, $50 is a big chunk to add to everything i already need to buy.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We have NTSC/PAL screens in several sizes, starting at $39.95: https://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main ... q=ntsc+pal

Devinw

Post by Devinw »

Darn looks like i will have to buy that $45 screen, oh well it looks nice and its the perfect size, just have to make sure its the right size first. Thank you for the help

AKSoapy29

Post by AKSoapy29 »

I was actually thinking of a project similar to this, except it would have more things built on. So far, all I have are ideas. I was thinking of making a RPi calculator with wifi and a gameboy emulator, and it would also have removable keyboards and pads and such.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”