Using Power from a Small Engine Alternator

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
miax

Using Power from a Small Engine Alternator

Post by miax »

Maker Community,

Hello! My first robot project will involve turning my snow blowing into a autonimous droid that I will control via live video feed from my house. It will require both an Arudino Mega and a Rasberry Pi working together along with a dozen HiTec Servos (some waterproof, some super-troque), one electric motor and TONS of Adafruit electronics!

I have two challenges that I don't know how to overcome, this thread addresses the second; building a method to use the engine's alternator to power my Microcontroller, Pi and Servos.

The engine is a beefy-one, a Techumseh HMSK80 (8 HP) with a beef alternator; Techumseh Part 611113, (3 Amp DC / 5 Amp AC):
Techumseh Alternator 611113
Techumseh Alternator 611113
TechumsehAlternator611113.jpg (376.92 KiB) Viewed 664 times
Which will be inside my HSMK80 engine on my snow blower:
Snow Blower
Snow Blower
SnowDroidBackSideProfile800x600.JPG (317.62 KiB) Viewed 664 times
My plan is to use a 12V Car Battery in the droid, and I would like to charge the battery via this alternator - but I don't know what kind of rectifier or regulator circuit that I would need to safely charge the battery. This is where my knowledge of electronics falls-off.. :(

Any input would be much appreciated!!

john444

Re: Using Power from a Small Engine Alternator

Post by john444 »

Hi Maix,

What you have is truly a 'alternator'. The coils are fixed and the magnet(s) spin around them.
This produces an AC current whose frequency depends on the engine speed. Also, there
are usually 3 sets of windings but I am not sure in your case.
Miax wrote:I don't know what kind of rectifier or regulator circuit that I would need to safely charge the battery.
Ideally, you would use the regulator designed for this application, the item 100 on the parts diagram
"Tecumseh 34443D (replaces 34443A) Solid State Ass'y". I suppose you could build on yourself.
There are battery charger circuits on the web. Although, riding on a snow blower might be a pretty rough environment.

If you really want to build your own regulator/charger, feel free to contact me by PM.
Good Luck, John

miax

Re: Using Power from a Small Engine Alternator

Post by miax »

John,

Thanks for the replies! That makes sense, I didn't know which part on the engine handled the regulation function.

In the spirit of Making and a desire to learn, I would like to take you up on your offer and build one. :) I'll contact you by PM!

Thanks. :)

Kris

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”