Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Adjustable Breadboard Supply help
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Adjustable Breadboard Supply help

by jahrel on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Hello--

Being very new to Arduino and the world of electronics, I've started playing with a few projects and I think I'm ready to move to a little bit more complex projects. Over the weekend, I was thinking about how to drive a DC motor using the Adjustable Breadboard Supply. I've done with with a very small servo with no isolation but now I'm considering a bigger motor (6V).

Can somebody help me with some questions?

- Can I drive the motor from the high voltage side?
- I'm using an opto-isolator to control the DC motor. Can I ground the regulated side to the Arduino or do the sides share a common ground?

Thanks in advance!

Jahrel
jahrel

Re: Adjustable Breadboard Supply help

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:59 am

- Can I drive the motor from the high voltage side?

You mean the VIN on the breadboard supply? Assuming that the supply that is feeding it is adequate, yes.

- I'm using an opto-isolator to control the DC motor. Can I ground the regulated side to the Arduino or do the sides share a common ground?

Both sides of the breadboard supply share a ground.

adafruit_support_bill

by jahrel on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:18 am

Thanks for the reply!

You mean the VIN on the breadboard supply? Assuming that the supply that is feeding it is adequate, yes.

Exactly. In this case, I only need the usual protections, right--a diode to prevent back surge and so on.

Both sides of the breadboard supply share a ground.

Okay. So an opto-isolator won't make a difference and I still have to ground the regulated side to the Arduino.

Jahrel.
jahrel

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:40 am

I only need the usual protections, right--a diode to prevent back surge and so on.

Yes. A diode is a good precaution.

adafruit_support_bill