Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

newbie q on controlling lights
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

newbie q on controlling lights

by lanewsa on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:26 am

Hi experts.

I'm just getting feet wet here with Arduino.

Trying to get a handle on an end-to-end project. After I've created a circuit with a relay to control a light (110 v), how do i package everything up so that the circuit is hidden inside a wall plate?

The other thing I'm confused about is what if I have multiple switches controlling a single light? Do i need to create the same circuit multiple times?

Sorry for the rather dumb-sounding questions, but I'm kind of stumped. My apologies if there is a better place to ask these kinds of questions.
lanewsa

Re: newbie q on controlling lights

by EasternStarGeek on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:13 pm

I assume you're attempting some kind of home-automation project?

Building custom AC-Mains powered gadgets is dangerous enough, but trying to bury them in a junction box for semi-permanent installation is really asking for trouble, so it would be irresponsible of me to explain how.

Please- Just don't do it. Especially if you are a Newbie.

That being said, a lot of folks (myself included- I would be happy to share the details) have used commercial home-automation devices like X-10 receivers for controlling lights and banned. They are available for permanent installation, or as plug-in modules. They are already manufactured to meet safety requirements (e.g. U.L. in the United States) and there is no need to modify the receivers.

I use an Arduino connected to an X-10 PSC05 Power-Line interface, which is a completely isolated device for custom developers. It was a really fun project, allowing me to automate my lighting manually, or under the control of a real-time clock for automatic operation.

X-10 is kind of yestertech, so plenty of hackers are playing with Insteon and Zigbee devices, which are more advanced. The end-point receivers are a bit more expensive than X-10, however.

Sorry to be such a wet blanket about this, but I am very serious. I'd hate for you to burn your house down.

In any case, good luck-- there are a lot of really cool, challenging Home Automation gadgets that you can build- safely!
EasternStarGeek

Re: newbie q on controlling lights

by lanewsa on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks, EasternStarGeek!

Your points are very well taken! When I say I'm a newbie, it's in the area of electronic controls. I have done quite a bit of 110VAC work, and am (as you so clearly point out) ultra-paranoid about the dangers.

However, experimenting with Zigbee devices would be cool.

In order to explain what I hope to achieve:

I already have standard stuff like switches controlling lights, fans etc. I'd like to incorporate remote control of the devices while still allowing "standard" control via switches. Many of the videos I have seen on using relays etc. have a mess of wiring, which is obviously not ideal. Hence my questions on hiding stuff.

I appreciate your patience with my questions, and hope to get guidance.
lanewsa