Project Idea: Open GPS Pet Collar

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pjddc

Project Idea: Open GPS Pet Collar

Post by pjddc »

HI all,

I purchased a wearable GPS unit from Adafruit (not yet arrived, but I'm overseas so it might take a while due to restrictive customs.) I was shocked by the price of some of the available GPS tracking pet collars on the market... all of them require a monthly fee, the lowest being $8 USD a month. Ridiculous, I say.

So it hasn't yet arrived and I don't yet have plans, but I'd like to open a discussion for any suggestions about what web services have good APIs for this purpose. Also, practically speaking, what types of collars would be ideal for other sizes of pets. I have a 40lb dog, but smaller dogs might require smaller collar configurations. The GPS is flexible and looks smaller than a quarter.

I'd ideally like to set up something I can share with others online, and I'd like to keep costs under $30 for anyone who wants to recreate the project (roughly the costs of the Adafruit unit + US shipping... no need to pay $100 for a pet collar then fork over $8 a month to some company.

Thanks in advance for ideas / advice / suggestions!

allanonmage

Re: Project Idea: Open GPS Pet Collar

Post by allanonmage »

The problem, and why there is a fee, is because of the network access. By tapping into a cell network, it works everywhere, but those cell companies always want their cut.

You could always build out your own network, but that defeats the point of it being cheap.

I don't know if a transponder would work either, enough RF power to respond might fry fido's brain.

Having a modem in the collar that you could initate a data call to might work, but then you have to spend the fee on the cell network access. ALthought that might be the best intermediary.

john444

Post by john444 »

Hi Pjddc,

I have a GeoGram 1. It is about the size of a Arduino.
It works great. It may do what you want.
I bought mine for $140 with the cell antenna & antenna cable.
Add a $20/year SIM card (1,000 texts / month) and you are set.
You can send it a text anytime and it will respond with it's Geo coordinates
and a Google Map link.
In addition, you may set it up so that it sends a text if it leaves (or enters)
a specific radius (called a 'fence').
It has lots of other features. You might check it out.
(h t t p ://dsscircuits [.] com/geogram-one [.] h t m l)
Note: the extra text characters are to avoid the dreaded spam blocker.

Good Luck, John

trex777

Post by trex777 »

I am looking to create a pet fence type system for my house. I have 4 dogs and I live in the country(meaning i can't see my neighbors at all). but I am not happy with the prices I am seeing and the options out there, I want to be able to use geofencing and dont want to shock my dog, I feel sound should be more than enough correction.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”