Airflow controller

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Airflow controller

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes. The FTDI cable has built-in USB/Serial conversion. There is a matching 6-pin header on the UNO Ethernet board where it can plug in.

japharl

Post by japharl »

Hey all,
thanks for the answers on this post... I'm looking into combining a lot of sensors (for an eventual boat based robot), and I got all of the electronics working today, but I was having issue with the initial voltage drop with the servo... (I got it to work when I plugged it into a dedicated usb 5v out, but it failed when I was plugging it into the computer) thanks for the info and specs on the compacator.

Cfy7

Post by Cfy7 »

Were you ever able to come up with a controller? I'm currently working on a very similar project and would love to get your input on it.

dimbeault

Post by dimbeault »

I have built my airflow controller using a Arduino Ethernet, a MAX31855 amplifier with a K-Type thermocouple and a Corona servo.

It works great, I read the current temperature of the air output and open/close (gradually 0 to 90 degres) the air input. I also added a buzzer so I can have low/high alarms.

I use the SD card to log the temperature and the ethernet module to log remotely to see the current status of operations.

Cfy7

Post by Cfy7 »

I've got the Adafruit MAX31855 with a type K thermocouple on an Arduino Leonardo. I have an lcd screen for it as well that I plan on using to monitor the settings and temp. I want to make a Low setting for overnight burns, a medium/normal setting, and a high setting for those cold days. It also will have a buzzer to alert me if it is overheating.

I've ordered a high torque hitec servo to open and close the air damper but I'm unsure how to connect it.

I'd love to see some pictures of your setup and your script as an example if you don't mind. I've been working on a script, but it's still pretty rough.

Thanks!

dimbeault

Post by dimbeault »

For the Servo motor, go to http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ardu ... rvo-motors they have made a good tutorial.

For connecting the servo, it's simple : there is a positive + (red) a negative - (black or brown) and the signal (orange or yellow).

Code: Select all

#include <Servo.h>
Servo myServo;

void setup()
{
  myServo.attach(8);  // where the servo signal pin is
}

void loop()
{
  myServo.write(ServoPos);  // from 0 to 180
}
My servo is mounted at the end of a 2 feets long metal tube and it moves a little metal plate the closes the end of opens it (from 0° to 90°). I added magnets to the tube so I can put it in place in a snap. You need to make sure that the tube is the same (or more) size as you current air entry. Also, check that your tube is flush to the surface and very little air can enter. It dont need to be sealed, but if too much air can enter elsewhere of the entry you control, overheating can occur.

I use the MAP function to control the opening http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Map.

Exemple :

ServoPos = map(CurrentTempF,LowTempF,HighTempF,OpenServoPos,CloseServoPos);
Above 250°F I want it full opened, meaning the servo must be a 0°
Over 350°F I want it full closed, meaning the servo must be a 90°. This way I ensure that it wont go over 350°F

This way between these two limits, my servo opens or close gradually. It stabilize usually around 300°F. When it gets colder, the servo opens and the temperature stabilize again. and so on until it get fully opened.

I'm working to integrate a fan to push more air inside for when the fire gets too cold or when I start a new fire.

Hope this helps

Cfy7

Post by Cfy7 »

Thanks for the information, You've given me some good ideas.

treacherous

Post by treacherous »

What wood stove model are you controlling?

Would you be willing to share some additional code? I am willing to pay a nominal fee as well.

What servo or linear actuator are you using?

Thanks!

dimbeault wrote:Hi, I'm building a airflow controller that will control the air flow of a wood stove. I have study the parts you have on your web site and come up with this list :
  • - Arduino Uno R3 (ID:50) - 30$
    - Arduino Ethernet shield R3 with micro SD connector (ID:201) - 45$
    - Thermocouple Type-K Glass Braid Insulated - K (ID:270) - 10$
    - Thermocouple Amplifier MAX31855 (ID:269) - 18$
    - 0.1uF ceramic capacitors (ID:753) - 2$
    - Micro Servo - High Torque Metal Gear (ID:1143) - 10$
    - Standard LCD 16x2 + extras - white on blue (ID:181) - 10$
    - Smoke Translucent Enclosure for Arduino - Electronics enclosure (ID:821) - 15$
    - 5V 2A switching power supply (ID:276) - 10$
:?: Now I need to know if something is missing and if they go together?

:?: Also, will the enclosure hold the Arduino with the Ethernet Shield and the Thermocouple Amplifier?

:?: I'm also looking for a capacitor for the Servo, do you have those on your web site?

Thanks! :D

dimbeault

Post by dimbeault »

Hi, I use a Corona Servo. I have place a tubing over the air entry. So all the air entering to the wood stove must pass by the tube.
Plans
Plans
Drawing2.png (16.64 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Blue line shows the air flows. The green line shows the movement of the metal plate that is used to block the air entry. So a rotation from 0 to 90 degres allow full air entry to full block. I can cut the air of the wood stove if I want to. The size of the tube must be the same or greater then the current air entry of your wood stove.

As for the code, nothing special. I read the temperature from the stove exit and convert it into an rotation angle.
dimbeault wrote:For the Servo motor, go to http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ardu ... rvo-motors they have made a good tutorial.

For connecting the servo, it's simple : there is a positive + (red) a negative - (black or brown) and the signal (orange or yellow).

#include <Servo.h>
Servo myServo;

void setup()
{
myServo.attach(8); // where the servo signal pin is
}

void loop()
{
myServo.write(ServoPos); // from 0 to 180
}
My servo is mounted at the end of a 2 feets long metal tube and it moves a little metal plate the closes the end of opens it (from 0° to 90°). I added magnets to the tube so I can put it in place in a snap. You need to make sure that the tube is the same (or more) size as you current air entry. Also, check that your tube is flush to the surface and very little air can enter. It dont need to be sealed, but if too much air can enter elsewhere of the entry you control, overheating can occur.

I use the MAP function to control the opening http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Map.

Exemple :

ServoPos = map(CurrentTempF,LowTempF,HighTempF,OpenServoPos,CloseServoPos);
Above 250°F I want it full opened, meaning the servo must be a 0°
Over 350°F I want it full closed, meaning the servo must be a 90°. This way I ensure that it wont go over 350°F

This way between these two limits, my servo opens or close gradually. It stabilize usually around 300°F. When it gets colder, the servo opens and the temperature stabilize again. and so on until it get fully opened.

I'm working to integrate a fan to push more air inside for when the fire gets too cold or when I start a new fire.

Hope this helps

dimbeault

Post by dimbeault »

A picture of my wood stove
Picture
Picture
DSCF2923.png (406.78 KiB) Viewed 678 times

1chicagodave

Post by 1chicagodave »

dimbeault wrote::?: Do you think that the enclosure will hold the Arduino with the Ethernet Shield, the Thermocouple Amplifier and the LCD display?
If you need more height, Sparkfun sells an extension that fits that enclosure -

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11798

You can even stack more than one if needed.

I know it's compatible, I used it with the Adafruit enclosure on a recent project. I have TWO shields stacked on top of an Arduino Leonardo w/ LCD display and buttons -
GPS Sensor Logger
GPS Sensor Logger
image.jpg (161.62 KiB) Viewed 667 times

Good luck!

treacherous

Post by treacherous »

Thanks for additional info!! I will probably go with linear actuator as I have an air control on bottom front of my wood stove. It is a Lopi Endeavor similar to this one.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”