Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Adaboard Anyone?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Re: Adaboard Anyone?

by westfw on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:05 am

So what's wrong with BeagleBone?
westfw

by randomvibe on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:32 pm

For me, 4 big problems with BeagleBone:

1) Price: $90 USD is too high considering the R-Pi is $35 for Model-B and $25 for Model-A when available.

2) Lack of ADCs, and this is very important for my robotics projects. For $90, I expect more than 7 ADCs at only 10-bit resolution. The Due has 12 at 12-bit resolution. The leaflabs Maple has 15 at 12-bit. The Freescale Freedom Board ($12.95 USD) has 14 at a whopping 16-bit resolution!

3) Poor documentation for such an expensive board. The main beaglebone website should have a direct hyperlink to "Reference" or "Document" listing functions, libraries, etc. like Arduino.

4) Main supported language is Java. I don't care for that language. The Linux operating system does allow for other languages, but then the user has to figure out the libraries needed to communicate with the beagle input/output pins. Not fun. I'd rather make things. I think the opposite is why Arduino is so popular: it's simple, it works (mostly), it's programmable in a popular language, and the price is very cheap. Plus there's something magical about Arduino, about the community, the forum, the grass roots maker thing. I can't quite put my finger on it.
randomvibe

by westfw on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:18 am

(1) [price] yeah, I hear you. But R-Pi is built using a manufacturing and distribution model that probably isn't workable for a board with a smaller niche. You can't really expect a $30 board of the complexity you're looking for. $90 is pretty good if you overlook the RPi existence.

2) [Note enough ADC power] Noted. The BB ADC is 12bits, BTW. (1.8V, though.) I think you overestimate the importance of bits, though. Even a 10bit ADC has more precision than the analog components I normally use.

3) [Documentation poor] I guess. Doesn't it point to a wiki? It runs linux, after all. Much of the documentation is expected to be covered by the standard linux man pages. (similarly, the Arduino documentation skips much of avr-libc that the Arduino team thinks is "beyond" the target audience.) Is BB documentation really so much worse than RPi?

4) [Mainly programmed in Java] Really? Why do you think that? It runs linux; I would have assumed it was mostly programmed in C.
westfw

by randomvibe on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:20 am

1) Overlooking R-Pi is like overlooking smartphones over cell phones. R-Pi will dominate single-board-computers like Arduino dominates microcontrollers. As soon as R-Pi adds a few ADCs, beaglebone will be pointless.

2) For robotics involving feedback control systems, resolution is essential; 12bit is the bare minimum for decent performance. 16bit resolution featured in the Freescale Freedom Board opens doors to vibration applications and audio capture.

3) Documentation for both R-Pi and Beaglebone are simply horrible. Horrible. For the $90 BB price, I'd expect much more than the R-Pi.

4) Yes, beaglebone runs linux. However, their featured programming language for interacting with the input/output pins is Java - a mistake in my opinion when the world is seated in C/C++ and expanding toward Python. Have a look yourself:

http://beagleboard.org/static/beaglebon ... README.htm
randomvibe

by westfw on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:50 am

So the next question is: What's wrong with a RPi with an add-on ADC board.
westfw

by westfw on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:57 am

Actually, it looks like the cloud9 example is JavaScript, which is not at all the same as java.

python info and other hints here: http://blog.makezine.com/2012/03/14/how ... eaglebone/
westfw

by randomvibe on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:18 am

westfw wrote:...What's wrong with a RPi with an add-on ADC board.

That's added cost, requires "ugly" programming, and worst of all, results in major degradation in processing speed. Adafruit's own ADS1115 mated to the R-Pi results in an update rate of only ~100hz That's slower than the slowest Arduino. See thread below:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35198&p=174429&hilit=adc#p177371

It's just too bad the R-Pi people neglected to choose a chip with native ADCs. I think this will eventually happen, if not by the R-Pi people.
randomvibe

by randomvibe on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:59 pm

BeagleBone Black. Finally a reasonably priced single-board-computer (SBCs) with onboard ADCs. This board has the potential to do to the Raspberry Pi what Samsung did to Apple. BBB has 65 DIO, 7 ADCs (12bit resolution), 8 PWM, 4 serial ports, 2 SPI, two I2C ports, and faster than the R-Pi, all for $45 USD. That's cheaper than the Arduino Due, and cheaper than an R-Pi-plus-GertBoard. Impressive. SBC peripherals and prices are advancing very quickly. For me, for the time being, I'm happy with Arduino Dues with the Eigen math library. My wishlist: an SBC featuring at least 12 onboard ADCs for $45 USD or less. Then maybe Adafruit can start selling analog gyros again.
randomvibe

by BruceF on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:13 pm

It's a sweet looking board, definitely. I want to get one just to play with the PRU's.

I haven't seen any specific reference to Java on the Bone, although I haven't really been looking for one. Agreed that Java is an anti-want. I did see something about I/O access via Node.js, which is... entertaining.
- Bruce
BruceF

by randomvibe on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:41 am

I don't care for Jave either, but it doesn't matter. The BBB's 2GB eMMC onboard storage chip has the Angstrom Linux distribution pre-installed, and also has a C-compiler as well as Python. Not sure what versions. Not sure if C or Python can interact with the board input/output pins.

I don't own a BBB, but I'm confident the community will find a way to make the interaction happen if it's not setup already. Ultimately, these are computers with Linux operating systems, so almost anything is possible, like Octave (Matlab-like language). I know Octave runs on the R-Pi, so I'm confident it will run on the BBB.

BBB just comes a bit short of the Adaboard ideal, if it just had a few more ADCs. To the BeagleBoard people, well done.

I'm curious to see the R-Pi response. Of course, R-Pi is still the Arduino of SBCs and a media darling garnering most of the attention. Everytime I see a new SBC such as the pcDuino, RascalMicro, Cubieboard, Marsboard, etc., I immediately think back to the R-Pi. The brand is very strong and made it's impact. The BeagleBoard people have their work cutout for them in order to sell the volumes needed to turn a profit.
randomvibe

by westfw on Fri May 03, 2013 4:06 am

R-Pi is still the Arduino of SBCs

But it's not clear than R-Pi WANTS to be the Arduino of SBCs. IIRC, they started out wanting to teach programming, rather than addressing the "physical computing" world.

BB-Black looks very nice. I'm very impressed that the BeagleBone "group" saw fit to cost-reduce a product that was already a pretty good value!
westfw