Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Getting (professional) help for circuit design
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Getting (professional) help for circuit design

by douglasgoodwin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I am an artist and educator with limited circuit design experience. viz: I can read a circuit diagram, I'm handy with solder, I can get around in Fritzing and I have a shoebox full of stuffed breadboards & Arduinos. I have been trying to DIY the project but I really want to finish the project in my lifetime.

The project calls for two intersecting analog circuits: one that measures and averages the brightness of nearby LEDs, the other that modulates the brightness of an LED. The two circuits are loosley coupled: local conditions of the network can vary the influence of that linkage (this is a feature).

I have a vague plan based on two designs from my Forrest Mims collection. Both utilize 555 timers: one to modulate the other to measure and send a control signal to the modulator. It's a reasonable approach but I need help from an experienced engineer. So I'm looking for a reasonably priced service that could design a circuit that I could prototype on a breadboard. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,
-Doug
douglasgoodwin

Re: Getting (professional) help for circuit design

by zener on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:36 pm

I would do it with an Arduino. Forget the 555's. Can you write any code? You could get help here without paying anyone.

zener

by douglasgoodwin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi Zener,

Tempting, yes! But I'm looking for an analog design because the voltage in the circuits needs to be continuous. I don't want any states to fall into aliased or stepped voltages.

-Doug
douglasgoodwin

by zener on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:01 pm

You need high precision? Or do I not understand? I am not sure what you mean by states falling into aliased or stepped voltages. The Arduino has a 10 bit A/D you know. Thats pretty good resolution.

zener

by douglasgoodwin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:29 am

So you would do something like this?
http://provideyourown.com/2011/analogwr ... o-voltage/

That's nice and easy even though circuit it's an order of magnitude more complex than using a handful of components. It's not practical to build 50 of Arduino circuits, but it would make a good prototype.

Thanks,
-Doug
douglasgoodwin

by mwilson on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:21 am

Maybe these guys
http://upverter.com/
mwilson

by zener on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:23 pm

douglasgoodwin wrote:So you would do something like this?
http://provideyourown.com/2011/analogwr ... o-voltage/

That's the basic idea.
douglasgoodwin wrote:it's an order of magnitude more complex than using a handful of components. It's not practical to build 50 of Arduino circuits

Actually the circuit would be simpler than using 555's, I can guarantee that. And simpler means easier to build. You don't need to duplicate the entire Arduino circuit. You just need a CPU.

Anyway, your original post was looking for a reasonably priced design service. I don't know any cheap ones but I am sure you can find someone. However, any experienced engineer will steer you away from using 555's for this, although for the record I don't really know what you are trying to do. Good Luck.

zener