Troubleshoot with RF 315mhz M4 receiver and transmitter.

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Denik_den1993

Troubleshoot with RF 315mhz M4 receiver and transmitter.

Post by Denik_den1993 »

Hi guys, i am new here but i know some stuff about electronics. So a week ago I got my M4 receiver and transmitter Keyfob. I connected everything how it should be connected and how it says it should work is if i press button a the corresponding pin will go high in till i will release it. Well its not working like that when i press one of the buttons the corresponding pin blinks/flashes if i am like 1ft away it doesnt flash. So i tried different power supply but nope doesn't work. If some one could help me out it would be great. i hope i didn't spent my money useless.Thanks guys.

zener

Re: Troubleshoot with RF 315mhz M4 receiver and transmitter.

Post by zener »

Weak battery in the fob?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes. I would try fresh batteries in the transmitter to see if that helps.

easternstargeek

Post by easternstargeek »

Funny, I just got one as well, and was puzzled by exactly the same thing. In my case, I also have the momentary receiver, and when I tapped the key (most of the time) I got a momentary pulse on the output, although it was sometimes a little jittery.

Whenever I hold the button down, however, I get the same pulses at the receiver that the OP observed. To my eyes, it looks almost as if the keyfob has an auto-repeat function. The pulse rate is approximately 2Hz. I suppose I should check the battery, but my unit was ordered only last week.

AFI- does this unit, in fact, auto-repeat?

I will let you know how I make out.

adafruit_support_bill

Thanks ESG. Let us know the results of your test. I'll try to confirm from this end.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

can you help us by typing out the part number on the receiver? does it end with M4?

zener

Post by zener »

I think fobs of this general type generally do auto repeat. But, how that would be interpreted at the receiver I don't know. I will leave that to you all to nail down. It's not in the documentation of the product?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

These are not really meant to be sold for DIY use - they're used for like, garage door openers, so the only documentation we have is the chip datasheets!

zener

Post by zener »

The Mfg has a greatly improved datasheet on their web site:

http://www.princeton.com.tw/Portals/0/P ... 2262_5.pdf

The answer appears to be on page 9:

"CODE FRAME
A Code Frame consists of four (4) continuous Code Words. When PT2262 detects “0” on the /TE (meaning, the /TE is
active “low”), it outputs a Code Frame at DOUT. If /TE is still active at the time the Code Frame transmission ends, T2262
outputs another Code Frame."

Denik_den1993

Post by Denik_den1993 »

Thanks guys for replies, yeah I thought about idea of weak batter I am going to try that. I hope thats the case, cuz my application requires momentary function. Thank you again!!! I will keep you updated!

Denik_den1993

Post by Denik_den1993 »

Hi Zener. sorry I didn't really understand why it does this kind of thing. the thing is when the transmitter is about 1-4 feet from receiver it works perfectly, but not further. I have tested out the range even with blinking, and I get about 60m. If you explain me the meaning of that part I will appreciate it! thanks

adafruit_support_bill

What zener is saying is that the transmitter is not putting out a continuous signal, but a series of 'code frames'. That explains the blinking. But it does not explain why the distance matters.

When you do these tests, have you fully extended the antenna wire on the receiver?

b_r_jones

Post by b_r_jones »

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem with a couple of key fobs... Do we know if this problem was corrected and what corrected it?

Thanks!!!

Brian

zener

Post by zener »

Here is the data sheet for the decoder end:

http://www.princeton.com.tw/Portals/0/P ... PT2272.pdf

On page 13 is the decoder algorythm/flow chart.

It says there that the momentary type resets the output after two address receives that do not match the decoders address.

So to me that suggests that the S/N ratio is going bad and so it is losing good transmissions. Different things could cause that, like the antenna, receiver or transmitter circuitry. That's just a guess of course.

What is the range supposed to be?

adafruit_support_bill

The range is going to vary quite a bit depending on conditions. This is particularly true of indoor operation.

Have you uncoiled the antenna? You should straighten it out for best reception range.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”