Solar charging Li ion batteries

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jr10

Solar charging Li ion batteries

Post by jr10 »

Hi Newbie here.
I am attempting to build a portable back-packable solar recharger. I have a 12 volt 2.8 Amp Hr deep cell battery. I wanted to use this as a storage device to recharge 3000mAh Li-ion eighteen six fifty
batteries. Since you have been out of the USB / DC / Solar Lithium Ion/Polymer charger - v1.0 id 390 for awhile, I was wondering if the USB/DC Lithium Polymer battery charger 5-12V - 3.7/4.2v cells
ID: 280 would work? I intend to use your Large 6V 3.4W Solar panel - 3.4 Watt id 500 solar panel.
Any input or help would and be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Jay

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Solar charging Li ion batteries

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The solar charger is really the better choice. Using a conventional charger for solar charging typically only works in ideal conditions. Too much load or a passing cloud will cause the panel voltage to collapse and disrupt the charge cycle.

jr10

Post by jr10 »

adafruit_support wrote:The solar charger is really the better choice. Using a conventional charger for solar charging typically only works in ideal conditions. Too much load or a passing cloud will cause the panel voltage to collapse and disrupt the charge cycle.
Thank you. Any update on when the solar chargers would be back in stock?
Jay

adafruit_support_bill

These sell out faster than we can make them. The best way to make sure you get one from the next run is to sign up for notification. You will get an email as soon as they are back in stock (but move quickly. They have been known to sell out in just a few hours!)

The good news is that we should have another pick& place machine on-line soon to increase our manufacturing capacity. :)

jr10

Re: Solar charging 12v deep cycle

Post by jr10 »

Hi,
I was also wondering if 2 of your Large 6V 3.4W Solar panel - 3.4 Watt ID: 500 solar panels would be enough to charge a 12v 2.5 amp hr deep cycle battery?
Thank you
Jay

adafruit_support_bill

I don't know a lot about charging lead-acid batteries. But I believe that two of those panels in series could handle it. You will probably need some blocking diodes to protect the solar panels from reverse current should they become shaded.

jr10

Post by jr10 »

adafruit_support wrote:I don't know a lot about charging lead-acid batteries. But I believe that two of those panels in series could handle it. You will probably need some blocking diodes to protect the solar panels from reverse current should they become shaded.
Thank you for your help :)

easternstargeek

Post by easternstargeek »

The following link is for a very good source of reliable information regarding all things battery!
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

This link specifically addresses charging techniques for Lead-Acid batteries:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... id_battery

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”