Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Basic Subwoofer Circuit
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Basic Subwoofer Circuit

by robodude666 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Hey Guys and Gals,

I recently found a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 subwoofer at a Good Will for $5, and figured why not!

The Subwoofer has a pre-amp DIN input that comes from the satellite speaker modules, has its own built-in amp and output for the speakers. I would like to run the subwoofer from my Yamaha HTR-6140 AV Receiver via the simple single RCA output. Looking online, you can find subwoofer plates for $60+ that would seem to fit the purpose, however I was wondering is there anything simpler than can be built myself?

According to Klipsch's datasheet, the subwoofer is rated for 50W with a peak of 130W. I'm guessing I'll be needing a Band-Pass filter to limit the source to ~31 Hz to ~200 Hz, though I'm guessing a low-pass would suffice, and an amp circuit. I haven't been doing any electronics, so I'm lost where to begin.

I don't need anything fancy; after all, it's only going to be running a $5 subwoofer I found at a thrift shop. Just want something that will work for a home theatre setup until I can afford (or my girlfriend lets me get) a nicer subwoofer.

Thanks,
-robodude666
robodude666