Peristaltic Pump Setup

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ethanol

Re: Peristaltic Pump Setup

Post by ethanol »

It is. If I turn on the power supply at the wrong time, however, it will boot arduino off the computer (the port won't be recognized). Is there some extra diode I need or kickback current i'm getting from somewhere?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Post a photo or diagram of how you have it all connected.

dbenedi2

Post by dbenedi2 »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Here is a wiring diagram - including a kickback diode:
Say I have my 12v DC power supply like, https://www.adafruit.com/products/798, and I also attach an adapter such as, https://www.adafruit.com/product/368 ...In your digram, you show +12volts going to the terminal of the pump and then connecting the other terminal to the N-Channel...My question is where is my common terminal (-12v) on the adapter used?

adafruit_support_bill

That connects to GND on the Arduino.

addy

Post by addy »

I know this is obvious, but I have having some erratic problems with the motor not stopping fully, not pumping very fast... When I double-checked my power supply I was using a 12V AC power supply. Fail. Switching to the correct 12V DC power, it's working great.

adafruit_support_bill

Yikes! AC would be a problem. Thanks for the tip.

smonescom86

Post by smonescom86 »

Hey.

Is the peristaltic pump working as an air pump as well. I'm looking for a pump which can inflate and deflate small balloons.
Maybe you can help!?
Thank you very much!
Regards. Simone

adafruit_support_bill

It does work as an air pump. It would not be very fast.

smonescom86

Post by smonescom86 »

Thank you for the fast feedback, maybe you could describe "not very fast" more detailed. How long would it need to pump up a ballon for example? Do you have an idea?
And do you maybe know a pump which is better for air and works with arduino?

Thank you very much

adafruit_support_bill

I've never tried blowing up a balloon with it. But I did set one up as a temporary aerator for a fish tank once.

A small diaphragm pumps such as an aquarium pump will work faster than the peristaltic pump. There are reasonably priced models that will run on DC.

Pumps like these will do up to 11 LPM. I have used them for rapid inflation of air-bladders in medical devices. But... they are expensive.
http://ph.parker.com/us/12051/en/BANNED-ii ... hragm-pump

exhuma

Post by exhuma »

Hi all,

I've come across your peristaltic pump and wanted to give it a shot. However, to the contrary of the rest of this thread, I'd like to be able to control the direction of flow. So, from what I understand I need a shield as a MOSFET won't cut it.

I am starting from scratch. Apart from breabdoard, jumper wires I have nothing. Can you give me a list of stuff I need? So far, I know about the following:
Anything missing?

After reading this thread there are still some open questions:
  • Could I do this with a Raspberry as well (I have a few lying around here). I've been told by friends that it would be much easier with an Arduino. And I'm not afraid of stepping into new areas ;)
  • How should I wire this up with the shield? I have dangerously little experience with electronics ;) But I am learning...
  • Is the direction of the kickback diode important? Considering that I would switch directions?
  • Should I give the motor some "downtime" while switching directions? Or can I switch immediately between "forward" and "reverse"?

adafruit_support_bill

You don't need a kickback diode when using the motor shield. It has kickback diodes built-in. We also have raspberry Pi "HAT" version of the shield.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2348

There are links on the product pages for tutorials that will show you how to assemble and wire everything.

It is possible to reverse without delay, but it would be less mechanical and electrical stress all around if you stop for at least a couple hundred milliseconds before reversing.

exhuma

Post by exhuma »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:[...]but it would be less mechanical and electrical stress all around if you stop for at least a couple hundred milliseconds before reversing.
Yeah. Thought as much.

Anyway. Thanks for the information. I think I'll get that hat ^_^

Rickysal2424

Post by Rickysal2424 »

Hello,

I am pretty new to this but had a couple of questions that I was hoping to get some feedback on. I am trying to setup this peristaltic pump to run off an arduino uno with a switch in line to dispense liquid from two reservoirs and mix them at an equal ratio. So far, what I've done is bought the following batteries (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HX ... ge_o01_s00) and box cases (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABR ... ge_o01_s01) to run the pump. However, when trying to run the pump with the tube ends submersed in water I do not get the pump to function. I was wondering if it had something to do with the 12V A23 battery I am using (I am only trying to run the pump off of 1 battery and case). When I take the top off and try to run the pump I am getting rotation in the shaft but then nothing when I put the assembly back together. I noticed many people on this forum reference a diode across the leads of the pump, was wondering why this is helpful and if I needed this as well.

Assuming I can solve the problem of getting the pump to work, I was wondering what I would need in line to get the pump to pull equal amounts from two reservoirs (similar viscosity fluids). Was curious if I could get around buying a second pump if I had the right hardware (im not so concerned with flow rate).

Also, if I am trying to run this pump off of an arduino uno, would I need a transformer to reduce the voltage going to the arduino?

adafruit_support_bill

When I take the top off and try to run the pump I am getting rotation in the shaft but then nothing when I put the assembly back together.
Are you sure your re-assembled it properly? If the motor is not running something may be jammed.

If you want to use a single pump to draw from two sources, you will need some sort of valve to select between them. We have some larger solenoid valves, but nothing really compatible with these pumps.

Running directly from batteries, you do not need a diode. If you plan to control it from an Arduino, you will need a transistor and a diode. These MOSFETs work well for controlling motors.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/355
https://www.adafruit.com/product/755

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”