Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Powerswitch Tail II Minifridge
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Powerswitch Tail II Minifridge

by gblanchard4 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:47 pm

I have a mini fridge to kegerator conversion I have been working on. My minifridge is the the Frigidaire FRC05L5DM0. It has an infamously terrible thermostat. I can not get my temperature to stay above freezing. I would like to build my own version of the Johnson Controls A419 using the PowerSwitch Tail II and a digital temperature probe to turn the fridge on when I am out of my temperature range (using the pi).

My question is if my fridge says it draws 1.65A at 115V is the PowerSwitch Tail II going to work for me. I know it is rated for 15A resistive. How is running a motor (the compressor) different? I understand there is a difference in the relays required from what I have read.

gblanchard4

Re: Powerswitch Tail II Minifridge

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:25 pm

For a motor load you would derate a relay to 20%. So the 15A relay should be good for a 3A motor.

adafruit_support_bill