Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

motor that "bends" in reaction to current
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

motor that "bends" in reaction to current

by mscottveach on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37 am

so I know there are sensors that can sense being bent... but is there something that works in the reverse?
a material that bends in response to current? a servo that bends instead of rotates?

i am fairly new to this world so forgive any mis-use of the terms... but i have this very raw intuition that
it would be possible to make a strip of metal that was a series of smaller strips attached together..

....each smaller strip being a different metal that expanded at a different rate in response to heat?

and o if you heated them all up the net effect would be that the strip would bend in a direction?

does anything like this exist on the hobby level?
mscottveach

Re: motor that "bends" in reaction to current

by westfw on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:49 am

Yeah, sort of. Look up "Muscle Wire", "Flexinol" or "nitinol" ...
It does work by getting hot, which raises several problems:
1) it gets hot!
2) to get hot requires a significant amount of power.
3) relaxation (un-bend) time is dependent on "cooling down", which in turn is dependent on convection and other "slow" cooling effects, which can't be hurried.
westfw

by mscottveach on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:03 am

thanks for reply! these are definitely the kind of thing i was imagining... i do
see your points though.. and since my project involves automatic puppets, the
"it gets hot" could be a real problem..
mscottveach

by westfw on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:31 am

You do know that servo motors, easily controlled by something like an Arduino, now come in nearly impossibly small packages: about 20x6x6mm for a Cirrus "Micro Joule"; be prepared for sticker-shock, though. Up at about penny-sized, there is a wider variety, some of which are pretty reasonably priced, if you buy them from the Chinese hobby providers...
westfw

by mscottveach on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:10 am

Actually, I didn't know about these... I mean I knew things like this existed in the world but I am very unclear on what's easily obtainable on the hobby level and what's not.
But these are sick! I just ordered some... thanks!
mscottveach