GPS Tracker for dogs

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
colin_haynes

GPS Tracker for dogs

Post by colin_haynes »

I have three dogs. Two of them run whenever the gate is slightly open (they're rescue dogs and this is BANNED - there's a long way to run). What I'd really like to do is attach GPS transmitters to their collars so I can find them when they are out. I know some companies (Garmin, Trax) do them, but they're expensive and I'd also like to learn more about electronics and how to track them with a Raspberry Pi if possible.

So my questions are:

1) has anyone done this?
2) does adafruit do any kits that'll help?
3) are there kits that will either give me real-time tracking or tracking on-demand (through a SIM card which seems to be a popular solution)?

Thanks in advance.

Colin.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: GPS Tracker for dogs

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We have GPS modules that will track an object's position, but they're data loggers.. all they'd do is tell you where the dog has been once it gets home. I don't think we have anything that does telemetry, but will pass the question along.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The more powerful XBee Pro modules have a pretty good range. The ones in our store are designed for the US. You would need to find one compliant with your local regulations. According to Digi, the Pro-868 is intended for the European market and has a line-of-sight range of up to 80 km.
http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-w ... ee-pro-868

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

colin_haynes wrote:they're rescue dogs and this is BANNED - there's a long way to run
I'd hesitate to recommend anything without performing an extensive site-survey. Airfare (business or first) and our standard whiskey budget should cover it. Please note: we have permanently waived our haggis requirement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”