Are there any simple breadboard simulators?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jamesj1

Are there any simple breadboard simulators?

Post by jamesj1 »

I normally do programming and so was wandering if there are any simple breadboard simulators that would let me debug my designs before building them?

So if I wire up an LED and a battery it would remind me to add a resister and maybe tell me how to calculate the value of the resister.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Are there any simple breadboard simulators?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I don't know of any software like that. There are programs that will let you design a circuit on the screen and see how it will behave, but they don't make suggestions.. and a good thing, too. Imagine having Microsoft's 'Clippy' pop up every time you add a new part to a circuit.

The standard circuit simulator is called 'SPICE', and there are many free versions with graphical front ends. LTSpice from Linear Technology isn't necessarily pretty, but it's good. It's a very technical program though, and there's a definite learning curve.

You might want to take a look at CircuitLab: https://www.circuitlab.com That's an online circuit design and simulation tool. You can find more by hitting Google with "circuit simulator".

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”